So my PC died

Rich5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
I was planning on picking up an iMac (refurb)anyway when my taxes come in.

A ?
I have my iTunes library(almost 500GB), and a fairly recent backup of my important stuff on externals.

I was planning on doing a migration over to the iMac of the music then reformatting the drive and putting everything back on and then moving all of my documents from the other external over onto the iMac

I will be able to hook up my externals and do this correct

Thanks

Im not dellusional enough to think ill never have a problem with the iMac but its just time to give it a shot

FrankHahn

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2011
You will certainly enjoy using your iMac! BTW, which model (21.5" or 27") are you after?

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
I will be able to hook up my externals and do this correct
You should have no problem with hooking it up. Depending on the format you used for the external drive will dictate whether you have write access, OSX can read but cannot write to NTFS formatted drives but that shouldn't be an issue since you'll be doing a restore.

parapup

macrumors 65816
Oct 31, 2006
You would be better off using FAT32 for the external disk instead of NTFS - OS X built in NTFS driver crashed the system in the middle of a copy for me and it wasn't pleasant to recover.

Or may be connect both to TimeCapsule and backup / restore from the NAS.

Rich5150

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 5, 2012
You will certainly enjoy using your iMac! BTW, which model (21.5" or 27") are you after?
27" go big or go home lol

But really my current monitor is 24" i wont go backwards

You should have no problem with hooking it up. Depending on the format you used for the external drive will dictate whether you have write access, OSX can read but cannot write to NTFS formatted drives but that shouldn't be an issue since you'll be doing a restore.
both are formatted for NTFS, My plan was to transfer and then reformat and move back everything to the external

You would be better off using FAT32 for the external disk instead of NTFS - OS X built in NTFS driver crashed the system in the middle of a copy for me and it wasn't pleasant to recover.

That is another option i didnt think of

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston

Of course but since the OP was using a PC the odds are good that his external drive is currently NTFS. If that is the case, he has the ability to read it, but he'll be better off reformatting to HTFS+ for future use :)

mario24601

macrumors regular
Nov 26, 2010
Of course but since the OP was using a PC the odds are good that his external drive is currently NTFS. If that is the case, he has the ability to read it, but he'll be better off reformatting to HTFS+ for future use :)
What is HTFS+? Can both Mac and Win read/write this?