So my purchase date is "incorrect" (Or: how Apple make no sense)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Schtumple, Jun 13, 2009.

1. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

On my last day of uni, my MacBook Pro died. It was happily playing a podcast one minute, then, nothing. To put a long story short, the logic board has obviously died. So I did what any mac owner does, I called Apple. I quoted my serial number, and I got a long pause, I was put on hold for a minute or two...

Then I was informed that my warranty had expired and I needed to go to a Apple store for my problem. I thought this was strange as I bought my machine in August (29th), so I still have a good 2 1/2 months remaining, I explained that my machine was not bought in May as they were saying and that I still have warranty, it took a while for the guy to stop trying to fob me off, but we got there in the end.

Turns out, when I bought my MBP, someone forgot to register the date when it was sold correctly, and the date that it came into stock was put as the purchase date. Brill.

Now, here comes the fun part, I was told that Apple are going to send me an email with all the details of my purchase, that I then need to mail to Apple.

Something doesn't seem right here, Apple are going to send me something, so that I can then mail it back to them... Really??

What really confused me was the guy I was talking to kept quoting the purchase as if I'd bought it from a reseller, where as it was direct from Apple.com (Refurb), his ignorance annoyed me.

Anyway, moral of the story, always check your purchase date/warranty info, cause if it's wrong, Apple pin it on you to fix it.

2. conch575 macrumors 6502

conch575

I hate phone operators like that who always think they're right and you're trying to scam them out of money, especially when it's not your fault and some person on the other end has screwed it up by putting the wrong dates in!

3. dilbert4life macrumors regular

dilbert4life

If you bought it online, do you still have the email receipt? Just show that to them, it should shut them up and prove them wrong.:apple:

4. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

When I said I had some codes (I have several emails with order confirmation written on them and a bunch of codes), the guy just kept saying I needed to mail that to apple, I said "Why can't I just give you the code, and you update it now?" and he said "Oh, it doesn't work like that", how?!

5. northy124 macrumors 68020

northy124

I have to admit their support sucks, even though in warranty with my iPhone I wasn't allowed new headphones (even though I can get one within 1 Year or 2 Years if I decide to say we are part of the EU blah blah blah lol), and when my MacBook charger caught fire and the guy on the other end said it was nothing to do with them as it was outside of warranty by 2 days:mad:

Apple Support = FAIL!

6. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

So today, my warranty is now valid again, everything is sorted, and we're going to the Exeter Apple store tommorow to go and hand my MBP in, I found it ironic that the day I faxed my proof of purchase to Apple, was the same day I got mailed the proof of purchase paper, from Apple... Their system of doing these things is very weird...

It's at this point where they turn around and claim water damage or some other kind of BS...

7. Schtumple thread starter macrumors 601

Schtumple

True to form, a guy at the apple store took a look at my machine, saw 2 tiny (and I mean tiny, about 1 mm each) dents by my cd drive, and accused me of jamming a screw driver in my CD drive, I explained that those were caused when I had to wedge the top casing back up as CDs kept clipping on it (I'll post a picture or the issue) and weren't ejecting, which he had none of, and I clearly heard him say to the woman that was dealing with me "mark it down as user damage by CD drive", which is great.

I noticed that this guy had been dealing with a really sh*tty customer before wandering over to me, but still, is that really an excuse to be that much of a d*ck to me?!

I have my sights set low on this one, and should the news come back that I'll need to pony up £900 for a new logic board as the damage is my fault, I'll invest in a OSX86 laptop. I know you guys hate people that say things like that, but seriously, I've taken damn good care of my machine, and to be accused of damaging it in such a barbaric nature was incredibly rude...