So, my screen is cracked, what can I expect?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by it5five, Apr 19, 2007.

1. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

My MacBook must have fallen off of my desk last night, because when I woke up this morning it was sitting on the floor. I wasn't too worried, because I had thought maybe someone used it, or if it did fall it was a sturdy little thing.

When I turned it on, I found out the screen has a giant crack/break across the whole thing. I know there is nothing I personally can do to fix this, but I just want to know what to expect when I go to the Apple Store tomorrow.

I don't have AppleCare, but I still am in the original 1 year warranty.

Is something like this covered? Am I completely ****ed (right around finals time, worst timing possible)? Will I have to buy a new Mac, or pay for the repairs (which would probably be as much as buying a new Mac)? Ughghgh, this week has been incredibly ****** so far.

2. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I did the same thing on my 12" PB a few years back.

It's not covered by apple care, it'll probably run around 600 if you do it through apple repair, or if you do it yourself go to www.ifixit.com

3. lamina macrumors 68000

lamina

Sorry to hear about all your ****'s man.

The procedure for replacing a display on any laptop is far beyond the 'average' user's ability. I wonder if you got it serviced by an Apple authorized service center, if it would keep your remaining 1 year of AppleCare.

I really feel for you man. I can't imagine the pain.

Good news though, you can pick up an adapter (Mini-VGA to VGA I believe) and hook your MB up to an external monitor in the meantime. I'd do a full hardware test on it to make sure everything's good.

4. it5five thread starter macrumors 65816

it5five

Yeah, I know someone that works at an Authorized Apple Reseller. I'm going to give him a call today and see if they can't do something.

Unfortunately I don't have an external monitor. :( The thought did come to mind though. If the repair is way beyond anything I can afford, I'll probably pick up a cheap monitor until August come student loan time. Then I'll get the screen fixed.

5. NuDarwin macrumors member

NuDarwin

aasp's won't void your entire warranty if something like this happens. all that happens is that they can't replace your lcd panel under warranty. after that, everything is like normal again.

lets see. to replace the lcd on a macbook, you can expect to pay ~$400-$600 US. ouch.

in terms of doing the work yourself, actually getting at the lcd panel isn't the hard part. its disconnecting the lcd cables on the logic board that is difficult.

if you don't usually take your mb away from your desk, yeah maybe an external monitor would work nicely.

or, you could sell it on ebay/craigslist and buy a refurb macbook.