Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
How can I get it back on my MBP? I can't seem to get it back on there...

Thanks!

filmguy15

macrumors member
Dec 24, 2007
Same thing just happened to my roommate's delete key. He got it back on once, but it just fell off again. Apple wants $500 to replace the whole keyboard. Ouch... No Applecare = Lame

T-Stex

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2006
Pennsylvania
Don't worry about it. There's another shift key on the other side of the keyboard. You're welcome.

Seriously though, if it won't just pop back on, I'd take it to the Genius Bar and see what they say. If they say it's not covered and there's nothing you can do without paying, I'd just take some superglue to it, and try to make that work.

CP1091

macrumors regular
Original poster
Aug 28, 2007
It seems so much easier than it is.. I still can't get it back on and nothing seems like it popped off. Any other ideas?

RHD

macrumors 6502
Jan 14, 2008
London
How can I get it back on my MBP? I can't seem to get it back on there...

Thanks!

Superglue.

Actually it tends to be a bit brittle. Two part epoxy resin is more to the point but for God's sake only get it on the relevant parts or you'll just make matters worse.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
you can get it back on but its tricky, the parts are small and intricut. what happens is that the the white plastic parts that the key holds onto, go on in a specific way, i just did this other day, and when a key comes off you have to reset them becuase they become unhinged. To do this you have to take them off completely, If you send me a pic i can guide you through this better.

Spizzo

macrumors 6502
Feb 1, 2004
Pacific NW
I've been using my powerbook for about a year now without an esc. key. At least, I think that's what it was... :p As long as it doesn't bother you (the look), it works just fine, at least on the old G4's...

growinglogic

macrumors regular
May 11, 2007
Chicago, IL
I had a key fall off of mine too. I went to the Apple Store and they fixed it right there on the side (not even at the bar). They have a stash of keys in the back.

Glueeater

macrumors regular
Jan 8, 2008
On the note of using a glue, try CA (cyanoacrylic). It can be purchased from any Hobby Store (4.99 for a really small bottle). Good stuff.

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
how did it fall off, did it pop of and you can't get it on or did it break. I'm telling you that you can put it back on yourself, its just a little hard to figure out how. It took me a good half hour to figure out how they go on, but you can fix it yourself i promise.

Heres what you do (i'll try but this would be easier with a pic or diagram), when the key pops up there are two pieces of white plastic that fit together. usually when the key pops off, they become disconnected and that is why you can't put the key on. If the two whit pieces fit flat you can put the key back on just by pushing ti on. If not you have to fix them so they are flat.

To do that you have to take them off the comptuer completely.

you will have to white pieces of plastic. on is the outside piece that is shaped like a U and the second is the inside piece that looks like a square. and it has two little pegs that fit into two holes in the middle of the larger piece. you alight those, you will have to twist it to do that. they should be crossed together at that point.

Then you have to put it back on the the computer. You do this by starting from where the bottom of the key would be. You take the interior or smaller piece adn slide it into a small little bar so it sits below it and then lay it down toward the top. the larger pieces will snap into two small holes. then it should lay flat. Then you can just snap the key back on.

rogair

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2007
^ quite informative. Saved me some time for explanation. :)
Also, ensure the metal " [ " is on the keyboard first. Other wise the key won't snap on. It fits through two loops on the keyboard

zirkle2007

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
Indiana, USA
...I would just take it in. They should fix it right there. Call ahead and see if they will at least. Save yourself the pain of doing it yourself.

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
This is one of those things that an Apple Genius will just do without even pulling up warranty information.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.