So my time capsule is dead

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by snugja, Dec 28, 2012.

1. snugja macrumors regular

And, I know this is dumb, but I just realized it's in that range that has the faulty power supply issues. I could just take the drive out I guess, but I'm just wondering what my options are. How kind do you think apple would be about replacing it if I took it into the store to have a genius look at it? It's obviously out of warranty since I bought it in 2008, but it did die about 2 years ago. I just never thought to do the research at the time - new kid, new house and it got lost in the shuffle.

Anyone have any experience with this?

2. PeckhamBog macrumors 6502

PeckhamBog

Don't give up until you've you've tried.

An email or telephone call shouldn't take long. A store visit might be more fruitful. Keep to the truth and see what happens (and update us here).

3. snugja thread starter macrumors regular

Alright will do! If all else fails, I suppose I could try to replace the power supply myself, but I can't seem to find one anywhere! Anyone have any luck with that route?

Fortunately, I don't have any mission critical data lurking on the drive. Mostly photos which I have backed up elsewhere.

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

FWIW I got Apple to replace mine out of warranty, and also replaced the power supply in the original one with an external brick. The recommended Cisco power supply is part number 34-0874-01 and is easily found on eBay.

B

5. snugja thread starter macrumors regular

SWEET! What did you say to them when you went in, and how much out of warranty was it? I've always had exceptional service with apple, but usually I have applecare or an well within warranty.

6. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

I have had Apple replace a few products out of warranty just by going in to the store and explaining what happened. No sob story, not with a pissed off attitude just go in and say Hey, I'm not sure what to do, this died on me out of nowhere am I going to have to buy another one?

Every time the associate has grabbed a new product off the shelf and asked if they could help me further. Now... it has never been a $300 product yet other than an out of warranty iPhone 4S.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

"My Time Capsule is dead." ;)

More info is here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1338556

They wanted to take the dead one and simply replace it with a new one, but I refused to let them have the data. They sent me a new one anyhow after escalation.

B

8. JediMeister macrumors 68040

You can try your luck, but as far as I know they stopped replacing Time Capsules with this issue sometime in late 2011/early 2012.

9. cheezeit macrumors 6502

10. snugja thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I know. I was sad when I realized that. I'm going to take it in when my 2 year old givesme a little downtime today :)

11. Fishrrman macrumors G3

"I could just take the drive out I guess, but I'm just wondering what my options are."

My guess is the power supply has died, but the actual HDD inside the enclosure is ok.

My suggestion:
    - Get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=usb3+sata+dock
    (many items shown, they all work the same, just pick one you like that's cheap)

- Open up the Time Capsule and take out the HDD unit

- Connect the dock to the Mac, put the HDD into it, turn it on.

- Does it mount on the desktop? If not, how does it show up in Disk Utility?