So my work disabled activesync....alternative? Or return the phone?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vsick, Aug 25, 2008.

1. vsick macrumors newbie

So I bought a Iphone3G about two weeks ago. I love this thing with the exception of a few things (battery life). So far I've been able to deal with the few problems this phone has.

This weekend my work disabled Activesync, because they have been using Good for e-mail for quite sometime now.

Now I have no access to e-mail via this phone unless I browse to it via safari.

My question is, is there any other way around this? I know I could forward my outlook e-mail to a gmail account, but I do not think that is a smart thing to do.

If there is no way around this then I will return it. Next thing is, if I return this I should be able to go back to my service pre up grade right? meaning no contract and old plan.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Huh?
    You bought an iPhone ONLY for accessing work email knowing they COULD cut that access off at any time. wow. srsly wow :eek:

Return the iPhone....

3. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

Assuming they've entirely disabled exchange, yea, your only option is to fwd to gmail or return it.

Are you within the 30 day return period for AT&T? If so you're fine, if not I'd go in person and find a sympathetic mgr.

4. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Um, every company that uses exchange mail can cut off activesync access at any time. Based on your advice, no one should buy in iphone. wow. srsly wow :eek:

5. danny_w macrumors 601

If you can browse to it with Safari, then you must have OWA (Outlook Web Access) enabled. The iPhone's mail app can be set to get mail from OWA/IMAP (I used to do it before v2.0 firmware came out). On previous firmware when you tried to setup an Exchange account it just setup an IMAP account fi=or you, since it had no ActiveSync support; I assume the option is still there somewhere.

6. JPIndustrie macrumors 6502a

JPIndustrie

You mean, you only bought an iPhone for email?

7. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

For exchange users, active sync is NOT required ;) just mobile access enabled.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I think he means that buying an iPhone JUST for push work email is a bit of a weird choice.

srsly

9. alFR macrumors 68020

As Danny said, set it up for IMAP access. Job done.

10. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Chances are they won't allow IMAP access if they're cutting off ActiveSync.

Just do email forwarding, pretty simple workaround. Other than that, you are pretty much out of options. Safari email is nearly impossible to use, you can't scroll inside the content box...

11. vsick thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't buy it just for push e-mail......but it was one of the prereq's for getting this phone. If I wanted to get a phone just for e-mail I would have just gotten a BB.

But, the fact that work no longer supports Activesync I am looking to look for other means of retrieving e-mail so I can still keep this great phone.

If I can get it to work via IMAP that might be good enough for me.

voicegy,

Any details for setting this up?

I tried adding account using "other"

populated hostname under incoming and outgoing mail server with:

smtp.company.com miss....
    pop.company.com miss...
    mail.company.com miss....

I get a return with::

Cannot connect using SSL. Tried setting up with no ssl.....same deal.
    Anything else I can try?

And yes I have another week or so before I am outside of the 30 day return period.

12. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

Exactly, buying or using 'I can access work email' as a reason to get an iPhone is poor idea IMHO.
    If you are as important to your company/job as you think, request they provide the tools you need to do your job.

Forwarding work mail to an outside acct. could be a serious security breach and cost you more then your job...

13. aristotle macrumors 68000

aristotle

+1
    This is definitely irregular behavior. To the OP, please leave your work at work or request a blackberry something for your work email.

I personally would never want to carry a blackberry around.

14. pavvento macrumors 6502

I don't understand everyone bashing the OP for getting the phone so he can access his work email. Isn't that why Apple added Exchange, so people could access work email? I agree that IF it were the sole reason it would be a bad choice, but it wasn't. This can happen to anyone of us at any given time.

It is a great feature of the phone that DID work and was a convincing argument to make the purchase, simple as that.

15. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Check with your IT department, they should have all the info that you need to set it up (if they allow the iPhone to access email that is...)

16. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

seriously, wtf is up with that. leave the dude alone.

17. vsick thread starter macrumors newbie

Don't worry folks....takes a little more than a few unhelpful comments to piss me off. Feels like I am in a windows mobile forum haha..j/k guys ..lighten up.

Well I spoke to the Manager of IT here, she says she is looking into it more thoroughly this week and hopefully she will have a solution for us (apparently I am not the only person who bought a Iphone within the company and am experiencing problems).

Hopefully they find a solution sooner than later (within my 30 day window).

If not, then I guess i'll ditch it and just accept the blackjack they will give me.

Goes to show how much I like this phone, I am willing to shell out my own money for a phone for company use when I can get a different one from the company for free.

Thanks for the help all!