So new batteries aren't covered by AppleCare

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DesmoPilot, May 11, 2010.

1. DesmoPilot macrumors 65816

I suppose I can understand where they're coming from; But these batteries aren't user removable - and you can't go out and buy a new one should the time come you need a new one (due to use and amount of cycles). That's absolutely retarded, what the hell Apple?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

You buy a new one from the Apple Store or from an AARC, both of which can do the switch for you with prior appointment. If it's defective, AppleCare does cover a replacement.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

That's right. They're not considered a user-serviceable part and they're not covered, except for defects.

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

Yeah pretty much. If there's any kind of issue with it, they will replace it under AppleCare. In this case, it will usually put up a warning sign by your battery in the menu bar, and when you take it in to an Apple Store, it will be flagged as defective in some way by their diagnostic software.

If you just need to get it replaced because it's a few years old, you may have to pay the $99-$129 (forget) fee for them to swap out a new one.

You can always just buy one from a reseller of Apple parts, or a third party battery, and change it your self. Removing the bottom of a unibody MB does not void the warranty. You could then put the old one back in if you need to take the machine in for service.

This appears to be the route they are taking - luckily they are also producing vastly better batteries for their notebooks than in the past.