Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r3voLoLwuT

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 29, 2010
Is that a safe assumption? With 4.2 not releasing until then, would seem more likely that the Dev Team would skip 4.1.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I hope not! 4.1 is something I definitely want. Prox fixed and game center is something I would want now. They shouldn't skip it. It's not like it's a small release.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
I would bet against it. If there is an exploit they discover for 4.1 it will probably work for 4.2. If they release the exploit for 4.1 it will give Apple a chance to plug it when 4.2 comes out, then forcing them to find a new one.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I would bet against it. If there is an exploit they discover for 4.1 it will probably work for 4.2. If they release the exploit for 4.1 it will give Apple a chance to plug it when 4.2 comes out, then forcing them to find a new one.

They got more than 1 exploit as right now, so I am sure a JB will be here soon enough.

los318

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
Austin, Tx
4.1 has been out on beta for awhile. I think it safe to say they have an exploit and are sitting tight. 4.2 is a few months away still and wont carry to many upgrades worth getting anyway. 4.2 jailbreak i'm sure wont be here till begining of the year.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Isn't 4.2 for ipad only? why would that keep them from releasing an iphone JB?

Mademan12321

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2009

Exactly. I would think it would be like a 4.1.1 iPhone update or something to that effect. If its that way then unless apple is feeling bitchy about plugging holes in that exploit then I would think they would just release one for the iPhone and touches until November,. That way they can work on the iPad jailbreaks around late September then betas are released.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

because there the ones that have to go through all the code to find the exploits or holes. if somebody is smart enough themselves to do then they don't need the Dev-team. other wise we have to leave it in there hands like it or not!

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
probably for Pwanged JB iPhone's the 4.1 update JB will come soon afterwards, for the rest of the JB iPhones w/ userland JB, it could possibly be a wait until 4.2.

iOS 4.2 is for ALL iOS devices!

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
They got more than 1 exploit as right now, so I am sure a JB will be here soon enough.

If they have all these exploits sitting around, why isn't there one for 4.02?

And explain why it took so long to even jailbreak 4 / 4.01....

Maybe I'm missing something but if they have all these exploits sitting around, they would have released the 1st one sooner and there'd be one for 4.02 out now.

There is an old saying... "You don't know what you don't know." They don't know what Apple is doing to plug any exploits. If they release one for 4.1 it could shed some light on things for Apple and they could plug it and others in 4.2. I'm still going with my first thought... I'd bet against it. If they have one waiting, just hold off til Novemeber or whenever 4.2 is released. We waited a while for the current one so what's another couple of months to go from 4.1 to 4.2?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

As they said, no worth it to wasted an exploit for a upgrade the only Fix the Safari hole, there is not reason to upgrade to 4.0.2 (from 4.0.1), no new features, no other bugs fix, nothing. So why waste a good useful exploit for just a few people that are OCD and click "yes" to any popup they get?

As said by the Dev team Themselves, the only winning move here is not to play

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
To get "4.0.2" you go to cydia and download the PDF patch from Saurik (5kb only) presto you are theoretically in "4.0.2" without having to restore nor update;)

ulbador

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2010
As they said, no worth it to wasted an exploit for a upgrade the only Fix the Safari hole, there is not reason to upgrade to 4.0.2 (from 4.0.1), no new features, no other bugs fix, nothing. So why waste a good useful exploit for just a few people that are OCD and click "yes" to any popup they get?

As said by the Dev team Themselves, the only winning move here is not to play

While I agree that it's not worth wasting the exploit, keep in mind that stupid upgraders are not the until people unable to jailbreak because of 4.0.2.

There are now a whole mess of people with brand new phones that can't jailbreak.

ckurt25

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
Michigan, USA
While I agree that it's not worth wasting the exploit, keep in mind that stupid upgraders are not the until people unable to jailbreak because of 4.0.2.

There are now a whole mess of people with brand new phones that can't jailbreak.

And people with new iPads too. The last jb isn't good on the newest version of the ipad OS, whatever it is.

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Still no worth it, they just have to wait a bit, like we all wait every time a new firmware comes out, exploits are a lot harder to find (considering that just a few and selected group of people are looking for them). People take Jailbreaking for granted, and usually never consider the work that people that find this exploits do, and want them to released them as if they "own it" to anyone.

People need to be reminded that unless you are a Jailbreaker yourself, "Jailbreak" is a benefit not a right.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009

there are some, but not a lot, considering the whole iOS population before them. 4.0.2 was released on aug. 11; it took various days probably for the iPhones that are on sale to have included the 4.0.2 so if you can't wait a couple of weeks (since you bought the iPhone 4 months after release) for a new jb; then you shouldn't even jb.... people that want to jb knew that 4.0.2 would patch the jb and if you bought one w/ 4.0.2 unfortunately you were late to the gravy train this time and will have to wait.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
because there the ones that have to go through all the code to find the exploits or holes. if somebody is smart enough themselves to do then they don't need the Dev-team. other wise we have to leave it in there hands like it or not!

I think you misunderstood my post. It was in no way meant to complain about the dev team. I think what they do is wonderful and the fact that they do it for free is amazing. I simply meant that if the iphone is not getting a 4.2 upgrade (only the ipad) then they wont have to wait since users will only be faced with upgrading to 4.1......

gigapocket1

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2009
Their will b a jailbreak for 4.1.. Theirs no reason to wait.. Unless your waiting for iPhone 5 or sum.. iPad came out with 3.2.. The iPhone never got a 3.2 update... Theirs a possibility that the iPhone will never reach 4.2.. If the dev team is waiting on a major firmware.. This is the firmware to release the jailbreak.. Plus theirs never a guarentee that the exploit that they are holding out on will still be available

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Their will b a jailbreak for 4.1.. Theirs no reason to wait.. Unless your waiting for iPhone 5 or sum.. iPad came out with 3.2.. The iPhone never got a 3.2 update... Theirs a possibility that the iPhone will never reach 4.2.. If the dev team is waiting on a major firmware.. This is the firmware to release the jailbreak.. Plus theirs never a guarentee that the exploit that they are holding out on will still be available

4.2 will be on the iPhone (or maybe 4.2.x, but some sort of 4.2 will be there) AirPlay is a mayor feature that Apples wants on all iOS devices. It's not matter of waiting for a mayor release but 4.0.2 was just more like an ultra small "patch" than an actual upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.