Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
It seems like Apple is gonna talk all about iPhone next week. Now what about the iPods line? Is Apple gonna make this year cycle a bit longer like for the iPhone 4? Maybe they are lagging of any new design for the iPods since they have change it almost every year! Thoughts?

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
iPhone makes up almost 50% revenue for apple. Rest is almost filled up with Macs and iPad.

iPod is still hanging around, but Apple is only doing well with iPod touch. The rest ipod sales are down every quarter.

This keynote will be mainly about iPhone 5.

While I believe apple will refresh iPod lines this year, don't expect any major changes.

They might kill off iPod shuffle and iPod classic.

aziatiklover

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 12, 2011
8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4
iPhone makes up almost 50% revenue for apple. Rest is almost filled up with Macs and iPad.

iPod is still hanging around, but Apple is only doing well with iPod touch. The rest ipod sales are down every quarter.

While I believe apple will refresh iPod lines this year, don't expect any major changes.

It's a shame that they have been killing a lot of awesome event. Summer was the iPhone event, fall music event ect.... now we barely get wwdc and an iPhone event?! weak

hcho3

macrumors 68030
May 13, 2010
Agree with your points. Apple is taking their time with releasing iPhone 4s/5 in the market. Dunno why. It could be they need more time for iOS 5.0 or they are working hard on hardware.

WWDC has been about software and not hardware before iPhone came out. Now, it has been about iPhone and iOS for the past 4 years.

Apple seems to be pushing iCloud, iOS 5 and etc for this year.

I would not expect much from iPods.

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008

Well if the other article about killing off the iPod Classic and Shuffle is correct, Macs actually make up the least amount of profit.

Lets get something clear here though. The iPad is still relatively new, the iPhone is the device that has received the most expansion (more carriers) and updates as of late so they are both obviously going to be the more profitable than both the macs and iPods that aren't as fresh as they once were.

To be honest I think the events have been combined for two reasons: a) the iPods aren't as profitable as they once were so they don't need their own event, b) the fact that the iPod Touch usually gets most of the same updates as the iPhone, by combining this both devices are more of a surprise.

Last edited:

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
I think iPod touch will get a minor refresh (fingerprint proof coating, and better light sensors, the rest of the hardware will be the same as the 4th gen, and it'll come in white as well) this would explain iPod 4,2 in the beta.

WLS

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2008
The Nano only got a software update which I have already installed on my 6th Gen, so no new Nano really. It's a year older but the generation is really the same - 6th . I'm hoping next fall there will be a 7th gen Nano with 32GB and BlueTooth 4 :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.