So, no new Apple TV

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Jeaz, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Jeaz macrumors 6502

Jeaz

Ok, so yesterday's event didn't reveal any news regarding the Apple TV, not even a refresh.

So what does that mean? One could say that there's nothing planned at all, and that they are waiting on the TVs.
    But then there are these small hints that something is still brewing.

Like there's no updated Remote app. Might seem like a minor detail, but Apple have now updated all their iOS apps, except iBooks, Remote, and iTunes U.
    Frankly, it's really odd that iBooks didn't get an update yesterday, or iTunes U at their September event, considering its timing with school starts.

Anyhow, one could say that since they didn't update the remote app it's because they are pushing out "something" soon with the Apple TV.

2. dlondon macrumors regular

Was surprised as, apart from the minor change in March, it's been about 18 months since ATV2. Even without a hardware change, I wondered in Apple was going to make some software changes - but nothing.

I did read a rumour about a possibility of a November announcement but I think that's unlikely. Guess it's 2014...

3. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Gotta be honest. Right now, it doesn't really need much updating.

They clearly aren't getting much luck with providers, the amount of "apps" they have is limited, so what's the point of a hardware refresh?

I love my Apple TV for what it is - essentially, a glorified cable.

4. Jeaz thread starter macrumors 6502

Jeaz

Well, I'd have loved see a Bluetooth remote, so I can hide the aTV. Yes, I can use the remote app, but frankly it's very poor.

Anyhow, I do agree with that at the current service level, there's no real need for an update beyond that.

I mean, we'd all love an App Store but for whatever reasons, it's not happening.

5. mic j macrumors 68030

I always keep in mind "follow the money". Apple is a hardware company. They make big margins on the iPhone and iPads. Frankly, I don't think the amount of money they can make selling aTV's is significant enough to be on their radar (at this point). In it's current configuration it has all it needs to tap into the iTunes revenue stream and that's all it's really supposed to do. Until Apple opens up a new revenue stream from television programing providers it has all it needs. Even then, it might have all that's needed.

It's just a hobby folks and Apple's focus will continue to be on those items that make "real" money.

6. hallux macrumors 68020

hallux

They don't need to release a new ATV to use a BT remote, it has BT built in you just need the remote. Even my ATV2 has BT in it I believe. ATV3 already does 1080p and has a decent processor, what more do you need that can't be added with just a software update?

7. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Yeah, not sure how much better the ATV can get in its current form. Maybe they'll announce something totally new and different (as they seem to keep hinting) but that will be a different beast altogether.

Meanwhile, I use my ATV every day for watching Netflix and, less often, buying a TV episode or movie to stream and watch from iTunes. I also like that when I buy a DVD or Blu-Ray that includes a Digital Copy, I instantly have access to it on the ATV (well, once I authenticate the code from my computer).

Also, I set up a screen saver using photos from Flickr. And of course I can AirPlay music or YouTube videos to it, and listen to streaming internet radio. And I can watch Apple events too! :)

Thanks to this box, I rarely even power on the PS3 anymore!

8. canyonblue737 macrumors 6502a

You have to assume that the "next" big thing in Apple TV will be some form of app store, but I think it is very unlikely to run on the present boxes and will require an introduction to developers at an event like WWDC followed by time for them to make apps before the actual launch. Earliest now will be summer-> fall 2014.

9. mic j macrumors 68030

Not at all sure you can assume that. Using a tv system for apps is not as "friendly" as on an iPhone or iPad. So although there may be a few useful apps that work well in the tv environment, I really don't think there will be enough of them to generate a revenue stream for Apple. And if there is no substantial revenue stream, I can't see why they would do anything more than add the occasional app (as they have been doing). Just keeping it updated enough to keep some minimal interest in the unit.

I guess I'm having trouble seeing how Apple is going to make enough money off the aTV to invest the resources required to make it anything other than a side interest (hobby).

10. ajiuo macrumors 65816

I think apple still has somthing in the works for appleTV.. At least on the software side.

If you noticed! Remote did not get an update.. I think that is becsuse Remote is getting a MAJOR update and its not quite ready yet. If it was going to be a while before apple did anything.. They probably would have just realeased a UI update to the remote app.

I think a UI update will be coming to ATV to better deal with all the content apps that they keep adding.. I also think that remote will be a big part of this.. I expect it to become fully interactive... Meaning that you will be able to brows and select content 100% from an IOS device via the remote app.

As for the programing packages.. It will come when they finalize a deal with the networks.

We will see new hardwar eventualy.. But that is the least important part of the whole thing.

11. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

What would be really great is if they could get channels on board with "apps" for Apple TV that would allow streaming of shows either live or close to broadcast, the way some websites (NBC etc) let you watch TV online. Ad-supported, if necessary. Kind of like Hulu I guess. Maybe you have more of that stuff already in the US, but it's definitely lacking in Canada.

Or maybe an interface that is content-centric and can cross app boundaries. I'd search for some TV show, and it would let me watch seasons 1-4 through Netflix, buy season 5 on iTunes, and watch current season episodes live as they broadcast each week.

12. ajiuo macrumors 65816

Im sure that companies like direcTV, Dish, and comcast are doing everything in their power to stop networks from setting up shop on apple TV.. Espesilly DirecTV and dish.. They have the most to loose.

Once Apple and Amazon start IP cable servisise... Things get really bad for them.. It takes away the whole concept of limited options.. At least companies like comcast will still have the IP infastucture... But DirecTV and Dish will loose all their cards.. They will no longer be the monopolizing "alternitives" (what a contradiction) that they are...

Im sure the networks feel some loyalty to the big sat/cable providers.. Because things have been done that way for a long time.. But change comes swiftly.. Once apple gets enough networks on board and gets the ball rolling.. The whole thing will revolutionize in pretty short order... Because it will reach a point when the networks who are not on board will be critisized and shuned...

I think apple is just trying to get what they need to create a flash point... Once they do that everything will have to fall in to place...

13. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

The only refresh I could see them doing is adding the ac wifi capabilities, other than that no real hardware changes can be made. I think sometime next year they will have some sort of updated set top box with a new interface that will likely be used in the actual TV they are working on. Some sort of a preview-like gig.

14. mic j macrumors 68030

To: Apple Inc.

Sorry, Apple. Since it's pretty obvious nothing "huge" is going to happen soon with your aTV, I have decided to sign a 2 year contract with DirecTV and get a free Genie Whole Home DVR system installed in my house for free only paying $3/mo extra for the service and downgrade my package (saving $15/mo).

Will continue to use the aTV for movies/tv shows/local files as I do think you have the best system for that but frankly, I have lost faith that Steve "cracked it". Hope you prove me wrong!:p

15. linds15 macrumors 6502a

you can hide it anyways, mine is zip tied to the back of my tv and the remote works perfectly fine.

16. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Well I guess it depends on your needs and how much you're willing to pay for it.

I am currently paying $0/month for AppleTV related services, and $8/month for my Netflix subscription. There are occasional incidental purchases for iTunes episodes but this would average out to maybe $6/month.

While your whole-home PVR solution with DirecTV sounds pretty cool, I don't think I could get any kind of usable package for anywhere near $14/month. Which is precisely why I canceled my cable/satellite services long ago.

17. mic j macrumors 68030

I was leaning your way, but as you said, needs differ. Can't pick up local tv stations well OTA, want live sports (with no blackouts), and really like to see things close to airing rather than waiting for them to appear from various sources.

I purchased the aTV3 2 years ago (on release) thinking this was going to be the next thing and would be able to drop sat services in favor of internet streaming. And I think, someday, Apple might breakdown the tv industries death grip on content and be able to provide an alternative. But I have decided it's not going to be this year and even if an announcement was made, it would probably take another year to "refine" the system to be a real alternative.

Still love it for movies though.

18. aced411 macrumors 6502

Relax bro you get iMovie theater. This changes everything all over again. Welcome to the revolution in media streaming :rolleyes:

19. otisg macrumors member

20. kensteele macrumors newbie

too bad i sold two of my atvs last week in anticipation of something new. guess i can do without them for a few months.

21. jeremiah256 macrumors 6502a

jeremiah256

Once Aero is finished fighting the OTA broadcasters in court, I'm anticipating a massive battle to buy it between Amazon, Apple, Google, Microsoft, Netflix, hell, maybe even Wal-Mart and other companies. Even if no one wants to outright buy it, any of the above companies should inject massive capital into it to keep it afloat once the fighting is over.

22. priitv8 macrumors 68020

The only problem with iMovie Theater at the moment is, that you can share clips up to 15 minutes in length. Like YouTube in early days.