Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
First of all i will say i have read here and all over the web about exporting/sharing i movie projects and i have tried all types of movie qualities- still i cant seem to get the same qualiity i see in the imovie edit window -in the final movie - tried everything from H.264-/DV-Avi/etc.
i am using my fairly new macbook pro 2.2 i7 4GB ram
the movie source is a good quality mp4 - looks good and smooth- even when i edit - still looks good in imovie- BUT- when i try to export- it seems smeared and not like the original-again- i tried all best settings options to export using quicktime but no luck!
please help- i just want to keep the original quality!
Isn't there a codec we ca download- imovie can use?
i guess iwill have to edit on my pc
sucks!!

Nov 28, 2010
located
iMovie uses the Apple Intermediate Codec, it transcodes all imported media using any other codec into a format (.mov) using the Apple Intermediate Codec.

Maybe try exporting the finished sequence using the Apple Intermediate Codec and then go from there via HandBrake or MPEG Streamclip if you need more compression.

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5
Another option: download FCP X trial so that it adds the other video codecs to your system. Then, export your movies as Pro Res and then run them through Handbrake. The Pro Res exports will be HUGE but very good quality. Handbrake will compress them down to size without the weird (and frustrating) quality tradeoffs out of iMovie.

While you're at it, give iMovie "Pro" (aka FCP X) a try. You might find you would rather just lay out the cash for that and give up on iMovie. FCP X can also manage 5.1 surround sound which is nice considering it's been in even cheap personal camcorders for what- about 6+ years now?

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
but why the imovie export downgrade my movie???
on the editor window it looks great but when i export it becomes bad- just dont make sense that i cant keep the original quality- no compression!

Nov 28, 2010
located
but why the imovie export downgrade my movie???
on the editor window it looks great but when i export it becomes bad- just dont make sense that i cant keep the original quality- no compression!

Then at least tell us what exact settings you set during the export, otherwise we can only guess. And have you tried exporting as QT file using the Apple Intermediate Codec?
And what are your capture and project settings and what resolution is the footage in?
Remember, we are not in front of your computer, you are.

If you cannot write them down, make screenshots and attach them to your next post.

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
i have tried to export with all the codec settings available via quicktime but no luck- always there is a difference- the colors comes out dull!
i am using my macbook pro 2.2 i7 4GB ram (late 2011)
the original video is an mpeg4 movie-frame rate 30fps 720x480 H.264 aac

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
There is a lot of,Ifs,Why,How, and don't understand.
From what i can read you import your video into iMovie (What version?). You then edit in timeline. When finished do you play your edit version in iMovie full screen format?
Instead of going to Quicktime try burning a DVD.
You are doing nothing wrong but your settings along the lines are wrong by exporting the video.

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Yes you are right-
I import the video into iMovie 11 I then edit in timeline. When finished I play edit version in iMovie full screen format-looks good no quality drop- then try to export- all the settings dont give me the original color and quality.
What do u mean burn to dvd? How? i want the file on my mac.

daybreak

macrumors 6502a
Sep 4, 2009
When you have finished movie go to SHARE and you will see were you can put your movie. You got one for iDVD. Put it in there and burn a DVD of your project.
How long is your video?. Also you dont want to keep your finish project on your computer as a file as it takes a lot of space up.
Is your project a tape format or SHD card input?.
You use the word bad movie export? check what ratio you imported your project and what ratio you are exporting your video.
For better understanding go to YouTube and click unto iMovie 11 there are a few tutorial on the subject of import and export.
Pity you are not on iChat were one could see what is happening.:confused:

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
i watched tutorials and read all about it
bad export=not the same color tones and quality as original
why cant i just cut edit and save it as a movie not changing anything regarding to the format??

Artful Dodger

macrumors 68020
See if this works, what did you shoot this in as in can you give us the camera, the type of format (HD720p, Standard Def) then did you select 4:3 or 16:9 and how long is the video?

After all of your edits and so on did you click on Share? I always click on Share but to go further if this is HD and your viewing source is not able to view it as such everything looks dull and like crap. Are you watching the QT back on your Mac? TV or what? How is it hooked up if it's to a TV? Just asking extra stuff to help you out here to get to the root issue.

I shot a video in 720p and after I was told to just make the final output SD quality and it was ok, not great. Just for a test though, try clicking on Share, after it is done then export it to QT and see what happens.

I looked back down the thread and what do you mean 720x480? Is this a typo by chance?

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
After the export i see it on my mac- i resize the QT window so it will be next to the imovie editor window to compare.

the 720x480 is the project size

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
Download application called Media Inspector (it's in App Store as well), it can read codec settings from your exported file and it can be saved into text file. If you can paste that text file here it would help us to see where's the problem.

Do the same for source MP4 so we can see the original.

From my own experience I had similar problems which were usually because of:
1. Low bitrate
2. Wrong or recoded pixel aspect ratio. I am not talking about aspect ratio of the frame but individual pixels. For example if your original source file uses HDV standard (pixel aspect ratio is rectangular 1:1,33) and you'll be exporting to H.264 (that natively uses square pixel ratio 1:1), it will create fuzziness on the video or even distortions. So it's best to use some lossless codec to export the final sequence (Pro Res or MPEG2 transport stream) and then run it via Handbrake to another format. Handbrake uses really good compression algorithm for H.264 and it can convert rectangular pixels to square in a good manner.

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
is this information enough?
from the mac get info- 2 files original and 7 sec. export
again i have tried all the exports possible- none gave me the same colors as original

Attachments

• original video.png
    original video.png
    30.5 KB · Views: 5,047
  • 7 sec export.png
    7 sec export.png
    30.3 KB · Views: 5,039

comatory

macrumors 6502a
Apr 10, 2012
it doesn't say that much really.

try exporting to MPEG4 as well, I see that there is some "HD" color profile on that h.264 and that might be the culprit if you're having troubles with color.

nirels

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 7, 2012
Thanks for all the replies and good will but i thought i was clear- i tried all the exports possible but still no good result- i think i am giving up!
imovie is nice editing tool but if the result is dull color i have to go to my less favorite pc!!- on windows live movie maker there are no changes after i edit - the red stays the same red!!

treatment

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2012
Looking at the Get Info files,

Isn't it OBVIOUS what is wrong?

First, the frame size is incorrect, second the color profiles are not matched.
You need to go into your display preferences, and make sure that you set up a custom color profile for ALL of your applications to adhere to.
Second, you need to export the movie at the same frame size.

PanoBirds

macrumors newbie
Jun 3, 2014
Hi Nirels,

Having the exact same issue here.
After exporting colours get washed up, and after uploading to youtube/vimeo it's even worse.

(not the first one to encounter this: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/youtube/SUd7yH7FStw)

How did you end up fixing this issue?

Thanks!

I've just lowered the overal lightning, boosted clarity and vibrance both a little bit over the top to compensate...now it looks acceptable. Still considering to switch to FCP. Don't think that issue would present itself there. Here's the result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKjjX-Nw7vM

It's messed up that the preview looks nothing like the end result in iMovie. They should fix that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.