So no tabs in Finder till 10.6?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by daneoni, Jul 4, 2007.

1. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Been looking around Apple's videos/Youtube videos and can't see tabs as a feature in the Leopards Finder. Is it safe to say we wont be getting this till the next version of OS X? or can it be added as a software update.

I dont understand the reasoning there, you'd thing a file browser would allow tabbed browsing. What if i want to interact back and forth with my Documents and Photos folder or something...

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

If they're tabbed, they're not "side by side"...I don't see the point in a tabbed Finder, as the folders are spring loaded...

3. osirisX macrumors regular

There will never be a tabbed Finder. Tabs make it impossible to drag and drop between the two folders.

4. Shotgun OS macrumors 6502a

You open up multiple windows. ;)

5. someguy macrumors 68020

someguy

Um. What about simply dragging the file to the tab of the folder you wish to drop in, which would bring that folder to the front, and dropping away?

If you can drag and drop through Exposé, I'm sure doing the same between tabs wouldn't be too hard for Apple to make possible.

6. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

Precisely.

In fact, if you look at the way they combine drag 'n' drop in Expose, it's very well integrated. You can start dragging a file, bring up Expose, hit Cmd-Tab to show the app switcher, drag the files onto one of the icons and release Cmd-Tab to show just that app's windows, then drag onto the desired window and release. Considering that level of integration, dragging between tabs is easy.

7. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

10.6? I'm afraid not. iThink the next step is Apple Macintosh Operating System 11

8. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Bring it on. ;)

9. Cormier6083 macrumors regular

Cormier6083

lol. You never know. Maybe it'll be like OS 8.6 and then to OS 11. What ever's coming, it means no more OS "ex" :eek: :p

10. pcguru83 macrumors 6502a

pcguru83

You can drag and drop in Expose?

:eek:

I did not realize this. Very cool!

11. wyatt23 macrumors 6502a

wyatt23

quietly one of the best features in os x

12. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

how?

edit: oh yeah you hold the file there for a second or so, nice feature i didn't know about that.

13. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

14. Prekesh macrumors regular

Prekesh

oh no im so sorry haha, i googled for a tabbed finder, and this thread showed up, as i read 10.6 in the first post i thought it was a newer topic.

Sorry again

15. pendolino macrumors member

pendolino

i came to the same place looking for 'tabbed finder' after thinking that pathfinder was overkill.

16. cajaledu macrumors newbie

Even though this is an old post

I just downloaded PathFinder as a trial and i wont buy it because the differences are only a few features like Tabbed Windows and a good way to move through the PATH to the folder that you are looking at.. for example when looking at the applications the path is Macbook's Name> Hard Drive's Name> Applications.. In PathFinder this is showed at the top just like this and u can click any folder to go to the enclosing folder, etc..

My point is, tabbed windows and that other features are stuff that must be added, at least as a plug in designed by an independent developer.. Is there any way to get this now or this doesn't exist yet for MacOSX 10.5.8.. Thanks in advanced.

17. hanzzzen macrumors newbie

TotalFinder - tabbed windows in Mac OS X SnowLeopard

The thread has been going on for a looooong time. A wanted feature is tabbed windows.

PathFinder does an okay job - but I haven't really gotten use the the changed look and feel of finder windows.

But but but... here's a solution - still in alpha... but looking good so far:

TotalFinder - with a Google Chrome tabbed window look.
    http://totalfinder.binaryage.com/

Have been testing if for a couple of days... works great though have had a couple of finder restarts. And yes - you can drag files from one tabbed window to another... just drop in on the tab.

Support the developer... really should have been part of Snow Leopard. By the way... TotalFinder only works in Snow Leopard.

18. mysterytramp macrumors 65816

mysterytramp

Tabs don't really do much for me, but I like the screen shot of the side-by-side Commander-like folder view.

mt

19. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I'm still liking what Path Finder brings to the table. Does this product allow you to cut/paste files like path finder?

20. professorjay macrumors member

Like other typical feature requests:

OS X has no tabs = who needs it, it's dumb, Apple shouldn't add anything ever again

next OS X has tabs = what geniuses! they've done it again! I love how it makes things even easier

Sure, you don't need tabbed web browsers either...

21. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So true :D

22. Chaoslava macrumors newbie

Just like Playstation Fanboys

23. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I'm a big fan of PathFinder. It's significantly improved over the Finder, and brings in so many more features. I love the integrated terminal window in every window, as well as the dual pane view. Those two features alone pretty much sold me on it.