So now I'm the owner of a Cube..

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by JSpence, Jun 24, 2012.

1. JSpence macrumors regular

JSpence

I just pulled the trigger and purchased an old school Cube off eBay. Man, I'm so proud of myself for this. I'm going to take time to do a little dance.

I love the design and some of the great stories I read about it. But, I should stop, because I purchased only the shell of the cube. Mind you, it's intact, 8/10 overall condition, but the innards are gone. That's okay with me. Right now, I'd like to do a respectable, clean mod without altering the original cube in any way.

I've browsed the forums for mod ideas. I've just returned to the states, so I dont have a HTPC need just yet, but in the future I could see that.

I do however have 3 external HD's that I am thinking about sticking in there. Fresh/personal mod ideas anyone?

Thank you! Very stoked.

2. Davy.Shalom macrumors 6502

Davy.Shalom

Dude I just got one too! The guy is shipping it out on Monday.

----------

Mod it with a mac mini ( the last mini with the optical drive..I think it was the NVIDIA 320m model).

3. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Since it's gutted it's a Cube case and not a Cube. This section is for PowerPC hardware not cases that PowerPC hardware used to live in.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

Most intelligent users would agree that a genuine Apple Cube case qualifies as PowerPC hardware weather you think so or not.

5. zen.state macrumors 68020

zen.state

Intelligent users would understand that what makes it PowerPC is the CPU and board. You do understand that a case can't compute anything right?

It's an empty box.. not a computer. You clearly have no understanding of what computer hardware is.

6. Orange Furball macrumors 65816

Orange Furball

But the cube is a representation of the hardware. Also technically it is a part of a powerpc machine, thus making it hardware.

If your thinking is correct, the iMac g3 revival thread is also not ppc related, because it is now using Intel insides.

Either stop trolling or don't post.

7. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

the absolute best use for a cube case is this...

[​IMG]

i built an iMacquarium but that required lots of effort, this is probably the easiest and pretty darn good looking tank!

Ive had that same argument, in my eyes if its going to be revived... its going to be brought back into its workable life. When i reconditioned it at 1st, yeah it was great and worked... but it was useless! completely and utterly useless, so yes... REVIVE THIS THING! :-D or make a good looking office tank ;-)

8. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

You're an arse.

9. Comeagain? macrumors 68020

Comeagain?

So where should he share his excitement about procuring hardware from the PowerPC Macintosh era?

And, can you touch it? Then it's hardware. Simple.

10. lannisters4life macrumors 6502

Meet me in the 21st century sunshine.

To the OP: amazing! How much did you pay? Water-cooled Mac mini/iQuarium combo would be something else!

11. AdrianK macrumors 68020

Yup, the 2010.

Though you could fit a 2011 in there and a permanently attached ODD via USB, there's more than enough space in case. That way you get the i5/i7 w/ HD3000/6630M.

I agree. This is hardly a suitable place for case-mods of gutted macs, as interesting as the threads may be...

12. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

Then I guess the "G3 revival" thread shouldn't be here either? No one's said anything in that thread! I just bought a Cube case too and welcome this thread.

13. Starfighter macrumors 6502a

Starfighter

Why do you always end your posts with this when you are arguing with people? Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of your direct approach on things, but it feels like you are angry or even bitter in these cases. Like... "why should I discuss these matters over and over again with people that is not in my league?"-kind of attitude. Am I wrong?

14. mike457 macrumors 6502

Note that the op acknowledges that his enthusiasm is moderated by the fact that the original guts are missing.

Speaking as a Cube fan (I've owned five, but I only have one right now), congratulations to the OP! It's better when they have their innards, but I'd be stoked too about getting a good case! It's excellent to keep at least the idea of the most beautiful computer ever going. Congratulations!!!!

15. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

I'm always on the lookout for a cube's housing to make a Macquarium. To the OP - enjoy the 'cube'! And I agree with the others, a pre 2010 Mini would be so sweet in there.

And in regard to zen. It's nice to see that people have actually now realised how much of an idiot he really is.

16. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

when it comes to minis in a cube mods, this is the nicest I've run across.

17. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

u can fit Mini ITX boards in there too

18. estrides macrumors regular

estrides

wow, that one link provided to the modded Cube(painted black) is just incredible..If my life ever gives me 5 minutes of down time, Id love to buy the parts and recreate that!

19. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

that looks great! touch sensitive buttons too, hmmm no I'm not even going to think about going there xD

20. Buffsteria macrumors regular

Buffsteria

Excellent mod! Thank you so much for posting this!

21. brentmore macrumors 6502

brentmore

The Cube's has some of the best aesthetics in Apple's older lineup. I picked one up last year to serve as the house for an homebuilt LED cube. Very simple, but it gets a lot of ooos and aaa's when it's switched on.

22. JSpence thread starter macrumors regular

JSpence

Thanks to everyone for their replies! I understand the guts are missing and some may not consider this a genuine PowerPC. It is an authentic piece of Apple art, and it's a beautiful bit of design work, so I'm still very excited about owning a genuine piece of overlooked Apple history.

The link to the black case mod is seriously intense! I'm not that clever with electronics right now.. I wouldn't trust myself to take tools/knives/sharp objects near the case, but in the future if I ever became so clever! The suggestion of dropping an older mac mini in there seems reasonable. I'd like to fit one from 2011 - present in there if possible to get the best of the i3/i5/i7 tech, and possibly turn into into a HTPC, but for now, I was just looking for out-of-the-box suggestions, past the HTPC/Mac Mini/Macquarium suggestions lol although the fish tank idea is really clever.

I have some external HD's I think I am just going to drop in there and run some LED's for the top and bottom casing to make those ugly black WD drives on my desktop look like they belong there. I'd like my friends to see something incredible Apple produced before they've recently become insanely popular and consider the company's history. I'm also looking to purchase a G4 iMac for the kitchen, in case anyone has that they're looking to part with (I promise to take excellent care of it!! hint hint!)

Once I finish I'll be sure to post a picture and share.

Thanks for the input, keep the ideas coming!

23. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Aww that's a shame, it would have been great to see what ideas you could have pumped into it. I'm 21, have mixed experience and I'm throwing every idea I get into my iMac g3 revival lol. Everything I'm doing is either stuff I know or lots of research/ trial and error (3rd set of hardware now :p)

Basically... Set your sights and go for it :) I've been adding about £20 to my project each month to get to my goal. If u want a mac mini in there... Do it :-D

24. fhall1 macrumors 68040

fhall1

I got my "case only - no guts" a month or so ago....my goal is to stick either a mini-itx, or embedded computer board (don't have the link to the source handy now - but it's two sided and even smaller than a mini-itx) into the Cube with a SSD and make a kick-ass Windows8 box out of it (sacrilege - I know). My main concern is how to actually mount the stuff inside the case...maybe industrial strength velcro!

25. JSpence thread starter macrumors regular

JSpence

"Basically.. Set your sights and go for it".

Yes, exactly.
    I'll have the shell for a looooong time, but as a temp set-up, it'll house roughly 6TB of data or so. I like the suggestion of the envelope saving method; slowly allow money to accrue each month for the project. Eventually, I think I want to rebuild a smaller, much more powerful computer and restore the cube to its former 2001 glory. But for right now.. semi-functioning art.

Haha ugh! Win8 box! Please tell me you're not going to let that thing run the metro-desktop! I demoed that at work (my last job in South Korea) and not only was the metro-interface awful but my Korean co-workers couldn't stand it once I left either. I guess everyone has their own tastes though so :p