So now that the iPhone 3G has been announced...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Ivan P, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

...what do you think we'll see in hardware updates for the iPod touch?

I would have said we'd see a model also available in white...and then I noticed it's only the back of the iPhone case that will be white rather than the screen also; unless Apple decides to ditch the chrome backs on the iPods (I somehow doubt it) then it's a pretty null point.

Any ideas?

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can't imagine any changes to the iPod Touch. Where the iPhone does much more and could have been improved, the iPod Touch does everything it's meant to do and it can't really be improved on that (just yet). It's very thin, very light, polished and reflective back (like other iPods).

I think we'll see 64gb iPod Touches come and go before they get a chassis update.

3. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

They changed the iPhone and added new hardware. Mainly GPS. It won't suprise me if they add something hardware to a new Touch. If the Touch is the Home entertainment device and the iPhone is your work device, then the Touch deserves an entertainment upgrade.

I'll bet on the same "improved audio" promised to the iPhone, whatever that is.

I'd prefer bluetooth over GPS. Then enable the bluetooth to pair with external bluetooth GPS transceivers for Google maps and any other location based application.

I'd love a camera for both still photos and video. This is the least likely IMO.

On the extreme edge (yes, never in a millon years), Apple strikes up a deal with Amazon and puts a Kindle ebook reader in the new Touch. Amazon likes it (sells more ebooks), and even underwrites the cost of the EVDO radio chip and service in it. I'll bet they make the Kindle reader app for iphone/touch anyway and give it away.

4. Xenn0X macrumors regular

the touch is a tricked out mp3 player aka ipod. they will not change that concept in hardware. only software or memory upgrade to 64 or maybe in some time 128 gb.

so if u miss things in your touch then you bought the wrong device and get an iphone.

i ditched my ipod touch for an iphone too few months ago.