So, now the BIG question is how does this automatic switch of the GPU work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjahshik32, Apr 13, 2010.

1. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

I'm just curious as to how this automatic switching of the GPU works? Say if I only want to use the integrated gpu all day, would automatic switch conflict with this from conserving battery life?

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's automatic which means it'll change between Intel and 330M depending on the need

3. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Seems to switch based on the demand. If you're using Safari and iTunes all day then it won't use the dedicated GPU.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

What happens is that the OS will consider the resources/processes running and make the switch depending on what's needed.

So if you're running simple applications it will remain with the Intel HD GPU. Anything else, the GeForce 3xx kicks in.

5. TennisandMusic

What about for using expose/widget stuff? All of those animations are a bit choppy for me on 9400m based machines, and the integrated stuff in these new machines is worse right? Curious how that will work.

6. yohannus macrumors member

Anyone know if it works better than Optimus?

7. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It basically is Optimus for Mac... It's unsure has Apple developed it on their own or did nVidia do the biggest work..

8. yohannus macrumors member

9. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

How many widgets do you have and how many windows choke Exposé?

I have the 17" uMBP with the 9400M running most of the time and I don't experience any choppiness unless I have a lot of windows open.

10. martynmc7 macrumors regular

You can turn automatic switching off, which means only the most powerful solution will be used.

On a side note I've been looking for a solution for choppy 9400m graphics, and after running the quartz debug tool (from the Apple developer tools), everything was actually tonnes better. You can also disable beam sync from there for improved performance, which is what I intended to do, but everything was so much better after just opening the debug tool that I left it alone.

I don't know what happened, but the graphics on the 9400m are silky smooth now!

11. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i guess there will be settings for using only integrated in the preferences window. i also guess that most users won't care about this at all or permanently switch on the dedicated GPU.

12. TennisandMusic

On every 9400m machine I've used, two laptops, and a mac mini, it was choppy with just 1 or 2 windows. I'm talking the difference between 30fps, and 60fps. When you know what the super smooth 60fps looks like, anything less just looks bad.

13. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

I wonder if there will be glitches from certain applications that will trigger the nvidia 330m gt card when it isnt a desired choice and people will be complaining about 3 hour battery life on the go.

14. fuzzielitlpanda macrumors 6502a

15. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Yeah it does. It ain't optimus but it still switches.

16. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

It does?

[​IMG]

17. jjahshik32 thread starter macrumors 603

18. bware189 macrumors member

Whatcha downloadin there, mister? Something illegal?

On a serious note, I am very curious how these gpus will perform in the new MBP, along side their iprocessors. I'm satisfied with my current MBP (early april 2009), beyond considering an upgrade, but I do want to see how these guys perform. Does anyone know if they're being sold at local apple stores yet?

19. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

When the auto switch is disabled, only the discrete can be used. I found this a bit crap. I'd like to have the choice. (Via Engadget)

Attached Files:

20. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope. Perhaps in the future but as of right now, the only options are automatic and discrete.

Understand how you feel. I would love the control too. I don't feel comfortable having the computer do things for me. I mean, the switching technology has to be VERY intuitive in a way that the discrete isn't triggered by something like watching YouTube or something.

21. mikeo007 macrumors 65816

I'm concerned with how this will work in bootcamp. Does the user still have the ability to choose which graphics solution will be used while running windows, or will it default to the dedicated 330m?

22. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

Exactly. When I'm in the train I want to be sure to save as much power as possible.

As far as I'm concerned, in boot camp I'll be using only the 330M but switching would be nice as well. I hope Apple will provide drivers for Windows.

23. iChillax macrumors regular

iChillax

this will be interesting