So, now the EU has cheaper data..

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nicholas.C, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

does that mean we can continuouslly tether iphones to our laptops?

2. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

now the EU has cheaper data?

What are you referrring to? I know the EU had plans to try and force operators to offer cheaper rates (especially regarding calls and text messages, but also data) by threatening them with regulation, but i was not aware anything had happened on the data front....

EDIT - okay, I see something has come into effect today.

While it's a move in the right direction, as far as i can see it refers to charges when roaming rather than at home. Also while the price on data transfer between operators (note, not the cost of the data itself but the charge to domestic operators from the roaming network) seems to have been restricted to 1 euro per mb, even if the operator then honours the "free data" you get on your contract and only passes on that transfer cost to you it's still going to be a euro a mb, which isn't exactly as cheap as chips!

It irritates me greatly, in this day and age I should be able to use the internet on my phone when abroad (in the EU at least) without any extra charges or at least minimal. One day... one day.... this is a move in the right direction at least. My career takes me all over europe so it'd be of great use!

3. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

I know there are caps on roaming charges from today but what's this about data?

4. t-oliveira macrumors newbie

t-oliveira

In Europe, most countries also offer data plans, which are cheaper then 30$ a month, but theres less then 1GB max of traffic.

5. Nicholas.C thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah, it said on radio 1 today that they've made it cheaper in the EU "it" refering to calls, texts and I thought internet data would be cheaper too.

6. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

only referring to roaming though, and see my edit above.

7. t-oliveira macrumors newbie

t-oliveira

Well in Europe for example theres also the 199$ iPhone thingy on some countries, but theres also a 200$ iPhone and 250$ iPhone with more expensive or cheaper contract prices, still the data plans here suck .

8. mikey4020 macrumors regular

Was reading about this on the BBC site this morning. It appears that it's now illegal to charge more than a €1 per MB when roaming, that means that O2's current £3 per MB would surely have to come down to less than a £1.

9. Kahnyl macrumors 68000

Surely O2 UK have mentioned price decreases somewhere? O2 Ireland sent me a text yesterday about it.

10. zeeflyboy macrumors regular

no, O2 aren't doing anything wrong unfortunately....

the 1 Euro per mb refers to the cost one operator charges another for transferring the mb of data. They are under no legal obligation (yet) to pass on the savings.

In an ideal world, since I get free data in the UK I would expect O2 to honour my "unlimited data" and charge me only the costs they incur (ie the max 1 Euro per mb), but we all know that's not how these companies work.

The comission does say it will consider capping retail rates of data too if the operators don't pass on the saving to their satisfaction.

That said, the rate for O2 is £3 per mb in the eu vs £6 from anywhere else, so i assume that is their concept of "passing on the saving"