So October 14th event is now over ... how long until the next?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by atiffarooq, Oct 14, 2008.

1. atiffarooq macrumors 6502

atiffarooq

As the title states ... are there any rumors as to when the next media event may be? I am particularly interested as I am hoping this will be an event which updates the desktop range of Macs.

2. Luis macrumors 65816

Luis

Best bet is Macworld '09. I don't think there will be any other event until then.

3. Soxy macrumors member

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=6402419&postcount=4 <-- My thoughts as to why an iMac speed bump is due in 2-4 weeks.

PS. The next updates for iMac's will be speed bumps of current models, which wouldn't justify a big announcement at MacWorld anyway.

4. Bad Paper macrumors 6502

I agree with the ~4-week estimate, but I think there is a bigger architectural change coming, isn't there? The current iMac is a Penryn processor sitting on a Santa Rosa board; it is my understanding that they aren't yet Montevina.

5. Soxy macrumors member

The current iMac chip is a quasi-Montevina (I won't get into it), and it's true that the next speed bumps would probably include a proper full Montevina.

The next big change to iMac's will probably be Quad-core, which in most peoples minds can't happen until mid-2009, hence why a speed bump in the next >4 weeks is more likely than not.

6. yojon macrumors newbie

Board upgrade

Wonder if the true montevina architecture would involve a board upgrade that could take more than 4 GB of RAM...

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

theoretically the new MBP and I think MB can take 8GB now with 2 4GB DDR3 sticks. Apple officially only supports up to 4GB. That'll be changing within 8-9 months anyhow.