So once jailbroken your chacked by devlopers?

Discussion in 'iPad Hacks' started by Ptit, Sep 17, 2011.

1. Ptit macrumors regular

I have a ipad 2 JB 4.3.3 with Cydia, all running smooth now, just recovered from a situation where i had to restore from a back up due to crashing of apps,

BUT

a friend of mine restored to 4.3.5, he had it with jailbreaking, he says his iPad 2 apps where crashing also, but he never saved a Blob, i was just asking him about it and he says once you go to 4.3.5 from a jailbroken cyber attack or situation where you cant log back into it developers out their who think you may of had their apps will attack you, even apple.

not sure what to believe, but i am 100 % sure his iPad 2 is now v4.3.5, i went to his place and checked it out with tiny umbrella as well, i could not believe what i saw, his keyboard was black, it was totally jailbroken, SBSettings also appeared to work but none of the passwords to use it worked any more, strange.

I imaging he was hacked by someone who has his UDID correct?

2. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I suppose anything is possible. We save the UDID of jb devices running our software because we refuse to support software running on jb devices, however for someone to take actual active measures against your device would surprise me.

It's much more likely your friend has installed conflicting hacks and broken his own device...

-t

3. Ptit thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the response, i actually told him the same thing :)

i just contacted him and he said after restoring again to 4.3.5, the black keyboard appears and locks him out,his own password does not work

4. DJBBOX macrumors regular

DJBBOX

lol. how is that "refusing" working out for you guys?
    jailbreaking does not = piracy. most people i know that own iPhone's, actually bought their device because of the jailbreak community. myself the day i can no longer jailbreak my device, is the day i switch platforms. i bought my iPhone 2g right after quickPwn was out and own every single device after that including iPod touch and iPad. #justsayin

5. Ptit thread starter macrumors regular

i have to say that Jailbreaking certainly seems nice, why are not these apps in the itunes store, SbSettings, Themes , makes me wonder

6. PatrickOMFG macrumors newbie

It's because some jailbreak apps do things that Apple doesn't want users to do, which is why they would never be accepted into the App store.

7. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

C/S

Funny I bought the "BASIC" app in the app store first day it came out. Like last year. Now the Dev has a message on his app description saying Jailbroken iDevices won't work wih his app. Blah blah. All the other apps i have work fine. 100's of apps.

I dl'd the update to check and it crashes on start up. Funny guy I tell you. You would figure with the type of app he sells he would have no problem with the JB community. Straight Clown.

I use ifile with that app to help me manage my codes.

Dude, get the stick out your butt!!

8. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Refusing support for jb devices has worked out quite well.

We track support calls and their resolution. 90% of our support calls for two of our applications (1200 calls) in Q2 were directly the result of a common hack installed on jb phones.

You cannot afford to take a $20 support call for software you sell for $2.99...

Without this hack, everything works great. With the hack, our software breaks.

You want to hack your device? Fine. We will not support the configuration.

We state this in the product description, as well as the TOS when you in-app upgrade, so you know beforehand.

Sales are up.

Support calls from jb users are down.

It worked out very well.
    -t

9. kalex macrumors 65816

Thats totally fine. Don't provide support but don't go blocking jailbroken devices from running your app. specially if it was purchased and paid for. If a developer pulls blocking crap on me after i paid for the app I would NEVER buy anything else from that developer

10. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

We have one app developed under contract that will not run on a Jailbroken device. It was a condition of the client due to the nature of the content in the app and his contractual requirements to prevent that content from being redistributed.

-t

11. kalex macrumors 65816

and thats fine but me as a user of the ipad would never unjailbreak my ipad simply because an app wants me to do it.

12. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Just as a point of reference, I checked our database of registered users and 1/8 of 1 percent of our registered users have jail broken their phones....

This is across applications, whether we make it known we check or not. The ratio does not significantly change.

It's not a huge issue for our customer base.

We will be releasing a game soon that will appeal to the teenage crowd, so it will be interesting to see what the ratio looks like there. I'm guessing it will jump..

-t

13. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

It all depends on what you do with your iPad.

One of our apps controls medical equipment. We will not operate in a Jailbroken environment because of the inherent risks and instability.

If you need to run this app, you will not jailbreak.

-t

14. DJBBOX macrumors regular

DJBBOX

well i will never buy an app made or supported by a company with that kind policies. #JustSayin and of 200 million iOS devices sold, around 12% are jailbroken. i think we have a voice and a big voice if you ask me. if it wasn't for the jailbreak community, a lot of this new features and functionality would have taken a lot longer to come out, and some provably would have never come out at all. you can ask Peter Hajas. if you hit a road block, don't fight it. adapt to it, maybe work your way around it. blocking J/B devices was/is/and will be a stupid move to any DEV period.

15. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I do not believe those percentage numbers, posted by the jb community to try to make themselves look mainstream.

Even in apps where we take no action, we have never measured more than a fraction of a percentage of our registered users on jb devices.

-t

16. kalex macrumors 65816

do you have a user base of 200 million users? :) You are measuring only your apps which don't run on every ios device out there.

17. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

Of course not, but our demographic will not be off by an order of magnitude.

We have more than 30 apps in the app store, another 15 in the enterprise program, and over a million user registrations.

I would not expect to be off by more than a few percentage points of the actual number of jail broken units in use.

-t