iPad So one should get their iPad Air replaced if Safari keeps refreshing?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Johnny Steps, May 4, 2014.

1. Johnny Steps macrumors 6502

Johnny Steps

Doesn't happen on my rMBP or my iPhone 5S.. just my iPad. I've seen a few posts where people called up Apple and they said to just get it replaced.

2. Charliebird macrumors 6502a

All iPads with the A7 processors do it, a replacement will do you nothing.

3. MyiBill macrumors 6502

4. HenryDJP macrumors 603

It's not just the air. The iPad 4 and the iPad 2 do it as well. I've tested them all.

5. Aspasia macrumors 65816

Halfway between the Equator and North Pole
    What does "refreshing" mean?

Am curious, as I've read previous posts about it, but no idea what it does.

I have an iPad 2 (iOS 7.1.1) and have never had any issues with Safari.

6. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

I also do not experience this issue. I rarely have more than a few tabs opened though so perhaps it's my usage that's shielding me from this travesty. I dunno.

The never ending RAM saga...... Ugh.

7. mcmul macrumors 6502

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

You open a webpage. Then you open a few more tabs. Or you switch to another app. You come back to the original webpage, and it's disappeared from memory so it has to download again.

9. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

I do not have this problem on my rMini, I also didn't have it on my Air, both on iOS 7.1.

However, at most, I usually only have three tabs open. Maybe that helps.

10. bliggs macrumors regular

bliggs

My 3rd gen. iPad does that same thing so I don't think replacing it will do you any good.

11. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Yep, I can't remember who the member's name was here who has been so "annoyingly" vocal saying our iPads are defective if they refreshing tabs and insisting that we have them exchanged because he claimed many others were swapping theirs and no more tab reloading. I decided to take him up on his recommendation Apple swapped my Air. Still the same thing. And as I mentioned earlier I checked out the iPad 2, 4, mini, and R-mini and they all reload the tabs.

Some of the people in this forum TRY to be helpful (as if they know what's best for us) but they really aren't...and they don't know as much as they pretend to.

12. grockk macrumors 6502

grockk

Not going to help.

13. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

With my retina mini, this is my experience, too.

14. mcmul macrumors 6502

It does that on my iPhone 5S and iPad Air; not to mention every other iPhone and iPad I have owned. I thought that was some safari/RAM limitation? It certainly doesn't bother me.

15. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Well you're either lucky or don't use your iPad like most other people do here. I've played with 5 of the Apple store's iPad retinas and they all refreshed tabs over and over. There's nothing special about the Retina Mini that prevents tabs from reloading. It happens on all the iPads.

16. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

If everything else about your iPad Air is fine, then I would recommend NOT getting it replaced. You could end up with a replacement that has screen issues or some other defect.

Based on what has been reported by users, the cause of the refresh is due to either (A) lack of memory or (B) software issue with Safari. Anything related to (A) will not be resolved by a replacement (the replacement unit will have the same RAM), and if the cause is related to (B) then the replacement will still have the issue and a software update could resolve it for everyone.

17. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Since my main tablet is a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014, I probably don't use it as often. However, when I do use it, it occasionally crashes in safari but doesn't refresh.

18. Ezhik macrumors regular

Ezhik

It's a software issue. Replacing your iPad won't help.

19. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

A replacement will do nothing different from normal behavior.

20. hungx macrumors 6502

hungx

I didn't have any issues with Safari with the initial release of iOS 7, but only noticed this issue after upgrading to the latest 7.1.1 update. The update fixed the crashing issue with Safari, so I can live with this for now. The launch of iOS 7 felt like it was rushed for the sake of releasing a "new" OS. I much prefer the stability of the previous iOS versions.

21. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

It's a lack of RAM issue. Replacing your iPad won't help.

See, can be either. But since they have been workin on safari for many years, and iOS 7 for a year and a half, I doubt it's a software issue.