So pissed at Verizon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jhadbulldog, Feb 10, 2011.

1. jhadbulldog macrumors newbie

You might have seen my post that VZ wouldn't let me pre-order an iphone since I was an old alltel customer. Now, they're telling me that in order to keep my current plan, I must wait until March 1 to buy. That's when my local small-town store will have iphones on the shelf. This is absolutely ridiculous. Does anyone know what to do? Has this happened to you?

2. saving107 macrumors 603

saving107

No, I didn't see your previous post.

Wait until March 1st. If they don't have it in stock, then their is not much you can do (unless you drive to your nearest major city).

3. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

In your area do you have AT&T? I remember your post something about that Verizon bought off Attel right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. patp Guest

the Op probably already thought about that. Let the guy vent. VZW is dropping the ball big time on many things related to the iPhone launch.

5. chestvrg macrumors 65816

chestvrg

I agree they just seem to be treating Vrz iPhone release like any other, and that is what is making so many Vrz customers upset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Predictable. iPhone owners are ruthless. I give AT&T a lot of credit for bearing the brunt of frustration for so long. It's about time Verizon felt the pain.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yup. unlike AT&T who altered the upgrade date for many customers, VZW is handling just like any other upgrade.

Should that be a criticism, no, they're being consistent.

8. Radoo macrumors regular

You call that ridiculous?! In other countries iPad 1 has not been released yet, and iPad 2 is coming... :)

9. patp Guest

i concur. good thing you're not being judgmental.

10. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Are you kidding me? You call making customers carry out their contract dropping the ball? Wait until you get out into the real world there kiddo. You're in for a super rude awakening. I for one appreciate the consistency VZW is displaying. You should never get an early upgrade simply because you have an iPhone. If they want to hand them out then do it for all customers.

How ironic. :cool:

11. hcho3 macrumors 68030

That's another month...
    Might as well as wait for iphone 5 in June. That will be only three months away.

12. tucker3434 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

Were you already due for an upgrade? Is your plan a strange one that was grandfathered in?

13. patp, Feb 10, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2011

patp Guest

i call dropping the ball the whole online order deal. If VZW wants to enforce the 2 year contract, I see what little that has to do with what I was talking about. Enforce all you want. I just wanted my iPhone before the 18th. If I had known ahead of time, I would have made different plans.

i agree VZW is being totally lame on this. If a month is such a short time, why can't VZW just eat it and take care of the customer. Who really wins by making the OP wait an extra month. We already know he wants the phone, he is willing to pay for it. Give it to him already.

14. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

You are also going to have problems using Facetime if you aren't on a Verizon plan.

15. gdjsnyder macrumors 6502a

gdjsnyder

Verizon is allowing old Alltel customers to upgrade, if they're eligible, as long as they change their plans. If you want the iPhone now, and can't wait, change the plan. If you NEED your old plan, then wait. It's a simple trade off.

16. jhadbulldog thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I was due in december. It isn't "strange", it's just old. But yes, grandfathered.

Really? I get verizon service, I just don't pay what most verizon customers pay. I'm on an old plan. That doesn't make sense to me.

Also, partially resolved, they say I can order today, and they will "try" to keep my bill at the same price. But, I still cannot add an additional iphone line until March 1.

17. Jack105, Feb 10, 2011

Jack105 macrumors member

You brought it up.

I hear you on this matter, I know it sucks. We have all been waiting for this phone for a long time. I'm not sure about the whole Alltel/Verizon thing. Are you due for an upgrade now? what is the deal?

18. dagored macrumors 65816

I was a former Alltel customer. Verizon always wanted me to buy a new phone. I was out of contract. Where I live, service is so-so from Verizon. Some of my calls would even go to voice mail and not even ring.

You asked what to do? If unhappy, do what I did, leave. If that is not an option, call their main headquarters. Be nice. I'll bet you get that iphone.

19. GoCubsGo, Feb 10, 2011

GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

OP: glad you got it worked out but being pissed just didn't seem to be the right reaction. Seems to me VZW wants you on "their" plans and not Alltel; they're eventually going to make that happen for all former Alltel customers. Sad but true. It happened when I was with Cingular.

20. racer1441 macrumors 68000

They aren't being consistent which is even better for the consumer. We have a Verizon store and an ATT store right next to each other in the mall. I was going to dump my verizon droid for a second ATT iPhone this morning.

Went up, got the quote from ATT for the second line, walked over to Verizon and said, I'm canceling my account, asked why, said I was going to the iPhone on ATT because they won't give me the iPhone upgrade. The guy went into the back and about 5 minutes later came back and said they could make it work, walked out with a $199 iPhone. Nice phone, I'm pretty happy with it.

Never be afraid to work the system OP. Be polite, but firm, and you'll be very surprised what can happen.

21. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Nice post. Would have done the same. Use this ammo OP

22. pvmacguy macrumors 65816

pvmacguy

OP your small town store has no options, they are an authorized retail location and will not get the system ability, or iPhone inventory until march 1st.

If there is a corporate store or an apple store even a vest buy you might be able to go to them and get taken care of.

Also are you a single line? Or a family plan? Either way you can not use verizon equipment on altell plans you will need to convert to one of our national current plans, that was probably why you could not pre-order because your plan is not a current one and needs to be switched. So be patient or go to other options.

23. tsolt macrumors regular

tsolt

+1

24. saberahul macrumors 68040

20 days... you'll be fine plus it's just a phone - not a new life... unless you're coming from a BlackBerry :p

25. ARSkemp macrumors 6502

You know, If you really want that iphone now, you can pay full price @ an apple store. You'll then have 30 days to return it (with no restocking fee), which by then you will be eligible for your iphone discounted through verizon.

That's what I am debating doing, since 2 representatives a couple weeks ago noted my account saying a could move my early upgrade forward and purchase the iphone today (i'm eligible on the 28th). After calling them today they wouldn't bulge, saying that the old reps were wrong and there's a strict policy in effect for the iphone which allows for no early upgrades unless there's some kind of system error.