Carrier So prepaid T-Mobile deal is incompatible with IUP?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by James.K.Polk, Sep 24, 2016.

1. James.K.Polk macrumors 6502a

In a rush, I made a reservation for the iPhone Upgrade Program, not even realizing what my plan was.

Then I did a little googling... at least for the 6S, it seems like the T-Mobile prepaid plan ($30/5GB data/100min) does not qualify for the IUP. Can anyone confirm or deny this?

2. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

IUP pretty much is going through the Apple financing program or device payments through your carrier. If you do T-Mobile prepaid you will have to buy the phone outright.

3. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Gah. It's not even the raw expense, I was just so looking forward to upgrading every year and having 'free' AppleCare+. Apparently we can't cancel our reservations, either? Maybe If I call the store...

4. heyyitssusan macrumors 65816

Yeah, try that and see. The IUP is through Citizens and they run your credit and such.

5. JoeG4 macrumors 68030

JoeG4

Yeah the way Apple sells phones is ridiculous. In order to get a phone with the iphone upgrade program you have to have a postpaid account with one of the big 4 carriers.

In fact, you can't even buy an iphone cash through Apple's website without having a postpaid account with one of the big three - unless you buy a tmobile phone. The tmobile phones require no account verification.

Funnier yet, you can't make a new verizon/att/sprint account from apple's website. Good times.

6. James.K.Polk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Confirmed, no go on T-Mobile. They told me if you want to upgrade through T-Mobile, you need to do it in a T-Mobile store?

Then I went through a whole ordeal where I half-switched to Sprint, only to get stopped because the SIM-unlocked iPhone SE is not compatible with Sprint, apparently. Bah. Now back on T-Mobile, though I somehow lost my $30/5GB plan.