So, PSP homebrew?

Discussion in 'Console Games' started by Dagless, Nov 29, 2007.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

[from Ed's Japan sales thread]

Where are we at now with homebrew and the likes? I'm planning on buying one, ideally one of them thinner new models. Only thing is I want Cave Story and to run my dumped roms and PS1 isos, as well as new commercial games.

What's this about modchips too? Can you install a homebrew f/w on one (say, Darkalex's one) and an official one on the other?

edit: So there's a firmware (M33?) that lets me do all this? Or is there something I'm missing.

2. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Last time I checked you needed two PSPs (to do some kind of flashing) to have proper support on the slim models...

Then again, last time I checked was a long time ago..

3. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Easier to homebrew on a DS, since Nintendo isn't constantly trying to block it.

<]=)

4. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

That's true, but theres no Cave Story yet, no PS1 playback. I've been told it's a silly idea but I've always had a soft spot for the machine. Plus I also hear the Slim models screen doesn't ghost!

I do love my DS homebrew, Colors is just hot :D

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

More like Nintendo didn't create a method for applying firmware updates :) The firmware is totally locked, it can't be modified by software without some actual hardware hacks (I know, I've done them), so Nintendo can't do anything to block out homebrew even if they wanted to.

I'm curious if they will on their next system.

6. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Jimmi, It is possible but you will have to switch back and forth to play UMD games and your Home Brew games.

Either that or you need a SDK PSP, which would cost a bundle :)

IM/PM me if you have some free time.

Ed

7. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

So this M33 firmware isn't all that it's cracked up to be then? It sounded perfect on paper :(

8. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

K so I need a Fat 3.71 M33-3 PSP. The Slim won't load 1.5 homebrew.
    Wish they wouldn't be so forceful with firmwares and that. If only UMD games weren't as easily pirated maybe they'd let us off.

9. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

It's more than pirated (PSP) games though...roms/emulators is a big thing I think; worse problem than pirated PSP games I would tend to believe.

Anyhow, it's only a matter of time. ;)
    I know the proper methods are in place on the slims but I'm sure they'll be cracked. Where there's a will there's a way...

I remember a time when Dreamcast games would be uncopyable, and so would Gamecube games. Eh those times didn't last too long, did they? :p

I'm supposedly getting a Star Wars pack for Xmas, can't wait to check out that sweet white PSP. Got my God of War: Chains of Olympus demo UMD waiting for it alongside my $15 used copy of Lumines I picked up for homebrew. ;)

10. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Why would that be a problem for Sony? I doubt homebrew authors can handle smooth PS1 emulation on the PSP (it's juuust powerful enough that I expect Sony's teams can get it running smoothly but not homebrew guys), so what can they pirate other than Nintendo and Sega stuff?

I doubt Sony would feel bad if people pirated their competitors products ;) They can't support it for obvious reasons, but they have no reason to block it.

11. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe they're worried people will be too busy playing portable Nintendo and Sega games to buy their own :p

I kid! But Sega did go and release a classic compilation for the PSP...

All my Q's have been answered by lovely homebrew sites. I hope that's ALL I have to research to play commericial and homebrew games.

Just wish the pretty Lite would go and work with 1.5 homebrew. Ho hum.