SO ready to buy... Updated 15" or Previous?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tangerinedress, Jun 9, 2009.

1. tangerinedress macrumors newbie

Hey folks ~

Thanks in advance for your help! I've been 2 months without a computer and borrowing and waited as advised. So now, for heavy Protools use, anybody know, is the update better? I want to buy asap!! Here are my options at Tekserve in NYC. I know Powermax or others may be cheaper, and $ IS a factor, but I am so excited to just replace at this point (tho, if anyone has another suggestion of where to buy...)

THANKS!!!

CHOICES at Tekserve (but am open to other suggestions!):

NEW! MacBook Pro 15"/ 2.66GHz/ 4GB/ 320GB/ NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 256MB/ SuperDrive
    $1,999.00

MacBook Pro 15" / 2.66GHz/ 4GB/ 320GB/ 512MB VRAM/ SuperDrive
    Save on this closeout previous generation model, while supplies last.
    $1,997.00

MacBook Pro 15" LED/ 2.53 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/ 4GB/ 320 GB/ 512MB Vram/ Superdrive
    $1,897.00

2. Peacemaker macrumors member

I am thinking exactly the same thing too but i am debating whether to get the refurbished 2.4gz mbp (1399) with upgrade to 4gb ram 1499 or the 1999 new mbp. Technically, the difference is 0.2gz with support to 8gb ram, marginally better screen and "better" battery life.

3. youpey macrumors member

you can get the 2.4 2gb ram with the 9400 and 9600gt video new at best buy for 1500, and buy the apple 4gb ram for 200 (less if you buy aftermarket)

you are at 1700 total for a computer with minuscule amounts of difference between the new one at 2000 for 300 less

the only negative for this is you cant possibly update to 8gb ram, although i dont know if you need that. and 70gb less hdd

also you will get the express card slot, which the new one doesnt have.

it is very tempting to me

if it is only the 3 you listed above, i might go for the 1897, the 0.13 mhz processor will not be noticed, especially not for 100 bucks

4. tangerinedress thread starter macrumors newbie

not sure i understand the express card slot thing, as to whether that's good or what for me, sorry....

at this point, i just want to make a choice and feel real confident about it. so someone tell me what to do:) need it for audio.

5. Peacemaker macrumors member

Exactly, i am almost in for the 2.4 gz module but worried about the 8gb ram. Though, in the foreseeable future, i cannot see 8gb ram to be down in an acceptable price. It is almost 600-700 to buy 8gb ram even you buy it from neweggs.

6. youpey macrumors member

the expresscard slot is used for expansions (so to speak)
    here is an example of what you can use the expresscard slot for
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=expresscard&x=0&y=0

with an sd card reader, you cant use it for anything except an sd card. you can get sd card reader on expresscard or even usb (which is what i have)