so really quick at the apple store

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Tonytownsend, Jun 10, 2010.

1. Tonytownsend macrumors member

Dual 2.26
    or
    single 2.93

For pro application
    ableton and logic???

2. Tonytownsend thread starter macrumors member

3. lionheartednyhc macrumors 65816

lionheartednyhc

Good thing he didn't say macbook or you would be screeeeeeeewed

4. Tonytownsend thread starter macrumors member

Its funny I asked "when last time you have sold one" he said "last year"
    The whole store was empty except around the Ipad table. and every person was leaving with a Ipad. It sucks. I dont see myself using or owning a apple after this computer is obsilete. They are making to much money with Ipad, Iphones and Itunes to care about the Mac Pro that they sell so few of.

5. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

That sounds pretty cynical.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Cool... yeah as Jester suggests, the 8 cores will really help with Logic and other audio processing tasks... they are surprisingly well designed for a multi-threaded architecture from what I've read. Congrats! :)

BTW, all those people leaving with iPads will be back for a Mac in a few weeks or months... don't worry! ;)

7. Tonytownsend thread starter macrumors member

Its not cynical, the sales reps think when you are standing by the mac pro its to check your email not to buy( I think they where suprise someone was buying a pro). And I kid you not, ever person I saw walking out bought an Ipad. I just dont get it?????

8. Vylen macrumors 65816

I would think that people who want a Mac Pro would be buying it online with free delivery ... cause, well, who wants to walk out of a store with an 18kg machine?

9. blinkfrog macrumors member

Don't repeat my mistake - go with single 2.93.
    My 8x2.26 is working bad in Logic - Apple still can't use all 16 (real and virtual) cores in Logic. In PC world 8x2.26 works better than 4x2.93 in DAW, but in Mac OS X + Logic situation is not so good. In synthetic benchmark able to load CPU evenly 8x2.26 aproximatly equal to 4x2.93, but in real life you can't provide such even loading to all cores. Typical situation in Logic @ 8x2.26 is most cores are loaded to 25-50% and one or two cores are loaded to 100% (as Logic shows) so faster core provides more CPU reserve.

Logic isn't good optimised for multicore as something like Maya. Go with faster cores.

10. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Mac Pros are not high volume items, especially in the store since you can't change the drive/memory/video/etc. card in most stores. I am surprised they had both a single and dual configuration as it is. And of course the iPad has all the attention, it is NEW and INTERESTING. The Mac Pro is an expensive piece of kit that is not meant for the same purpose. I wouldn't buy one for my wife as it is overkill just like it is for most people. I love them and if I am able to afford one when it comes time for a new one you can bet i'll be buying one. I don't care about being cool, I care about getting the stuff I want. I love the iPad btw. Had one for about a month then decided to sell it and get one when I actually have some sort of use for it.

11. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

sweet ~~~~~~~~ :cool:

I love the smell of new one-hundred dollar bills!

12. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Retail MP sales have to be crap. Best Buy doesn't even stock them with the other Macs. The whole point of the MP is the customization. Why NOT build-to-order? I suspect the vast majority are ordered from store.apple.com.

13. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I assume you are trying to optimze using these suggestions? http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3161

If you are still having no luck multi-threading Logic, then that's another black mark against the 8x2.26... and here I thought this was one of the few tasks it could excel at! :eek: :(

14. blinkfrog macrumors member

Of course, I have tryed various optimizing tips.

These tips are good for relatively simple project with relatively equally CPU-consuming AUs.

In real project, using audio routing, with many AU, some consuming 1-2%, and some for example 30-40% balancing CPU loading getting harder.

For example, one of hidden rocks: project have some virtual instruments tracks with similar set of AU. These tracks are equally distributed across cores. But if I try to feed side chains some of AU in these tracks from one instrument playing i. e. kick, then all these tracks become "binded" to one CPU core. Note: feeding from audiotrack is not lead to this problem (although sometimes lead; I can't figure conditions).

So if you want to produce music instead of "optimising" projects, you better go with less, but faster cores.

Also Logic currently still can't benefit from > 8 (real + virtual) cores. Some DAW on PC can - see DAWbench.

Turning HT off on 8-cores nehalem mac pro still can help while on PC some daw can succesfully utilize HT power - see DAWbench.

15. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

This is by far THE funniest thing I've read on this forum all week!

You don't care about being cool, yet bought an iPad, then sold it because you can't think of any uses for it? Were you hypnotized by the hype? Hahahaha...YES YOU WERE! Awesome.

16. Whaditis macrumors regular

:D That's exactly what happened to me when I bought my 2.26 dual at the Apple store.

The apple employee thought I was just wasting time and he looked shocked when I told him I was intending on buying the Mac Pro.

He looked at me funny and then said it was a very long time ago that someone had bought one and the last time it happened to be a doctor that purchased it.

It was even funnier when they rolled out the Big Mac pro box through the packed store as mostly everyone stopped what they were doing and started to stare and wonder what the heck is that behemoth. Everyone else was at the store for "i" stuff or macbooks.

When one of the employees first brought up the Mac pro box from the back to the front I had an audience of at least 6 apple employees surrounding me oohing and aweing. I felt swarmed by them. Must be a rare moment for them.

17. Vylen macrumors 65816

Makes me feel tempted to buy a Mac Pro in store. But, the Apple Store in Sydney isn't the best place to buy this sort of stuff - there's like, no where to park a car.

On an unrelated note, once I was walking past the store and some guy just walked out with his new iMac in a box, and wham, my hand smacks right into the side of the thing. That really stung for a while.

18. Whaditis macrumors regular

19. Vylen macrumors 65816

20. hakuryuu macrumors 6502

Actually I had a use for it in mind, but it just turned out that I wasn't using it as much as I thought I would. Being the IT Manager/System Administrator I was going to use it as a more portable way of keeping track of the network and as a remote client, but I just wasn't able to find an app that fit the bill currently. I am sure they will get better but since I sold the iPad for more than I paid for it I figure it was a good deal. I got to try one out and make money! Maybe I got the hype a little but I really did think I had a good purpose. Just the people who made the iPhone versions were slow in updating.

I'll buy a cheaper 32GB later this year for my 3 week trip to Japan

21. Roman23 macrumors 6502

Just sold my 3.0 Harpertown

Hello,

I just sold to someone my 3.0 harpertown 2008 for like 2000.00 and thus was able to get the refurb 2.66 2009 single. Now, before you all yell at me and say I should have gone with a dual.. I use my computer for non-pro apps. I don't really render at all, just here and there when I need to. Audio rendering? what is that? I don't do this either.

All I want to know is did I do the right choice by going from the 2008 3.0 harpertown to the single 2.66 quad core 2009 Nehalem? - Bear in mind, I never really used the 8-core processing power in my mac pro at all, since I don't use pro apps. Only got the mac pro for long term computer future proof use - upgrade video cards etc..

I am a hard core gamer.. at 23, I pride myself in that.

Plus, the refurb 2.66 at 2199.00 was right in my ball park and with the harpertown I sold I got 2000.00 - I didn't really see the need to go 400 extra for the 2.93 as the difference between 2.93 and 2.66 is really negligible.

22. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

Great strategies, IMHO. You'll have more GPU options for your gaming.

23. deconstruct60 macrumors 604