All iPads So... Rear shell trade -off

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Phonzoxd, Aug 31, 2013.

1. Phonzoxd macrumors 6502a

May 28, 2013
    So people are OK with having soft metal rear shell on their ipad now?

I know the Ipad 2-4 line atleast used like really hard metal, and now for Ipad 5 they will use what the iphone 5 and ipad mini use, which are soft metal.

I just dropped by iphone 5 lightly the other day and it completely dinged up.

I know had I dropped the ipad 2 the same way it mightve showed a scratch but not ding up.

So my question is, are people OK will having a lighter ipad at the cost of a more vunerable shell?
  2. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

Jan 10, 2010
    I put a case on all my device regardless so the weight savings from the softer metal,is a good thing to me.
  3. Lucille Carter macrumors 65816

Jul 3, 2013
    Even the smallest drop onto a hard surface will get the aluminum to dent.
  4. irnchriz macrumors 65816

May 2, 2005
    Dunno what you dropped it on but I have dropped my iPhone 5 a few times and have no marks on it but I dropped my ipad 4 once and the corner is dinged. Guess it depends on luck and what you drop it on.
  5. CoMoMacUser macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2012
    Does anyone read this line?

The iPad 1 is built like a tank. How do later generations compare?
  6. E.Lizardo macrumors 68000

May 28, 2008
    I'm fine with it.
  7. MyiBill macrumors 6502

Feb 8, 2012
    They are all made out of aluminum all are equally as hard.
  8. RenoG macrumors 65816

Oct 7, 2010
    Aluminum ding, glass crack and or shatter, plastic crack or chip. Get a case and carry on.
  9. xkmxkmxlmx macrumors 6502a

Apr 28, 2011
    Well, ideally you never want to drop your $500-$900 portable computer. That should be priority, not the accident proofing.

I want it to be as light and sleek as possible. It is a must for something you hold the entire time while in use.

I am all for the softer metal if it makes it lighter.
  10. TyPod macrumors 68000

Nov 2, 2006
    And Yourself?
    Both my iPhone 5 and iPad Mini have gotten dinged up pretty good. If you drop it, odds are it will be noticeable.
  11. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

Sep 8, 2011
    Boston, MA
    This is correct.

This aluminum and that aluminum, it's all approximately the same hardness. The coatings do make a difference, but much less difference than people seem to assume on these boards.

Apple tends to use Aluminum for all their products when a metal housing is used. The few exceptions are the metal band around the iPhone 4 and 4S was made of stainless steel, and the titanium body of the original PowerMac G4.
  12. Tzuten macrumors 6502

Sep 20, 2011
    This has been discussed over and over. It's the anodized coating not the metal.

I'm a bit disappointed in the durability of it but it is what it is. My climbing clamps I use also are anodized and held up better considering the abuse they take. Maybe a bad analogy haha.