So should I buy a 27" iMac now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ThisIsMe, Apr 25, 2012.

1. ThisIsMe macrumors regular

It does not look like we are going to see any new iMac refresh soon so I'm thinking if I should jump the gun and purchase now. Do you guys think I will be missing out on a lot with the new refresh? I will also picking up a 27" thunderbolt display.

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The update is going to happen soon, but its anyone's guess as what soon is.

If you need one now, buy it, if you can wait, then that's your best bet

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Buy what you need, when you need it. It's a pointless effort to chase the "next update", since you don't know for certain what it will include, and there will always be a "next update" coming, no matter when you buy.

4. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

The current model is still a great machine. But if you can wait then I would. I think June is going to be the absolute latest and more likely much sooner. How will you feel if you buy now and realise you could have twice the memory and faster processors for the same price?
    It depends on your situation but I'm waiting it out.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Processors won't be that much faster from one model release to the next, and won't impact most users, since the average user doesn't come close to maxing out their processor capabilites. You shouldn't be buying memory from Apple, anyway, as it's ridiculously overpriced.

6. ThisIsMe thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks and your right. Almost 100 percent sure I will go buy today. :)

7. Teem45 macrumors member

If it helps any, we still totally love the iMac we bought last June. I don't remember ever being this happy with a PC a year later! Of course, that screen helps! My only advice would be to max out on processor and hard drive to the point you can afford to as they're not easily self-upgradeable (except for memory). I kinda regret not doing that myself, but for what we use it for, it will be great for a good while, I'm sure. Have fun with your new Mac!