So should I keep this watch or what?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Sill, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Sill macrumors 6502

I'm a few weeks into owning a 42mm stainless black with link band. In person it really is a fine looking piece, much better than in the pics. I regret the purchase though.

Unlike most Apple purchases, where I see a real compelling use to put the product to (think iMac, iPhone) that then end up being useful for more things than I'd initially considered, this watch was more like the iPod for me, where I bought a 3rd gen unit, and then it sat unused because I really didn't have a good environment where I could put it to use, and no further uses developed over time.

So what can I do with this thing?

Unlike just about everyone here, I don't use ApplePay, and I never will. I won't answer a call on the watch, because I'm not going to be the guy sitting there in public yelling at his wrist. And I have no use for Siri or any digital assistant on any platform.

I don't use the activity tracker. In my typical day, the tracker would watch me for about 10 minutes and say "um, you got this" before going to cry in the corner. I'm also not a fan of something tracking anything I do.

Turn by turn directions? Seriously, do people not look at maps before going to places? If I'm going somewhere unfamiliar I get the basic map picture in my head and then memorize a few street names before every turn. It works every time. If I really need to, I'll look at the map on my phone, where I can see details instead of having some 'assistant' insist that I'm in the right or wrong place. In any case, Location Services are ALWAYS disabled on my devices. As far as I know, anyway.

Calendars and Reminders... It's kind of useless to bring up any kind of app that would involve productivity; I can't wear the watch at work since it would get damaged within the first couple of hours hours and there's nothing I could do to prevent it. I have my phone in a Defender case and I still worry about it daily when I'm on the job.

I do like the various watch faces and complications. Seeing Mickey tapping his foot makes me smile. The weather app implementation is very cool. Raise to wake is neat. Checking caller ID from the wrist is neat.

Aside from these few things - and telling the time - this has proved to be a very expensive fashion piece.

I'm just venting here, I guess, but I feel like I'm trolling. Sorry if anyone gets that impression. I guess what I'm saying is can anyone provide a compelling use for the Watch to a person who values their privacy?

2. iBreatheApple macrumors 68020

iBreatheApple

It sounds like you've got it all figured out. So why are you asking us what to do?

3. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502

There was a question in the last paragraph, in case you didn't get that far.

4. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

Perhaps you should have done a little more research before buying. Sell it and move on.

5. Newtons Apple macrumors Pentium

Newtons Apple

The AW is not for everyone. The device needs to be tried to really know if it is not for you.

Just return it before the trial period is over as resale is quite poor right now.

6. batting1000 macrumors 604

I don't understand. In the last paragraph, it seems like you're trying to get us to tell you why you should keep it when it clearly seems like you don't need it at all. Return it and move on.

7. MrTazz macrumors member

MrTazz

I agree with the above...... I just hate people posting about how 'they' hate something, clearly it's not for you so return or sell it and find something you do like

8. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502

Let me rephrase it for you and offer a little more illumination. Maybe that will help you understand.

I bought the watch figuring that it would be like most of my Apple gear, and that past its basic functions I would find many layers of usefulness that would develop over time. it has turned out that in order to use most of the functions of the Watch, I have to forfeit a lot of privacy. Aside from a few really neat features which I listed I can't see much on the Watch that I can use. I was hoping that someone here could offer up some ideas that would make the watch useful.

And no, I can't return it. I'm past the return window.
    --- Post Merged, Jun 18, 2016 ---
    I don't get the 'they' in quotes. What is that supposed to indicate?

And no, I don't "hate" the Watch. (Notice the proper use of quotes?) if you could show me where I said I hated the Watch I'll just end the thread now. I rather like the style, and the different faces. It's a good looking piece of gear.

Maybe by "they" you're lumping me in with people you've had problems with in the past and you're just assuming I'm one of "them", whoever "they" are? You should get more exercise than simply a few minutes of using your "Jump to Conclusions" mat. Might work off some of that hate you mentioned.

9. rockyromero macrumors 6502

rockyromero

Use the AW in your private moments.

Ignore it in public.

Simple.

10. sean000 macrumors 6502a

sean000

Plenty of folks own conventional watches and jewelry that cost as much or more. Only you can decide if it's worth the price for what you get out of it. If you keep it for a while you might discover some other things you like about it. Maybe not.

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I knew the iPad wasn't for me because I did my research and determined it wouldn't benefit me based on my needs. You should have done the same with the AW rather than blindly buying it.

12. spriter macrumors 65816

spriter

If privacy if your chief concern then the watch shouldn't be your point of question. After all, it's only pulling data from your phone and all your online accounts.

13. testcard macrumors 68020

testcard

How about doing your own research instead of asking others to do it for you? Google some Watch reviews and blogs or search out app reviews. Then immediately delete your browsing history.

14. batting1000 macrumors 604

I fail to see how the Watch breaches your privacy...it's literally an extension of your phone. I feel like you're worrying a bit too much about these things...I never understood why people are so nervous about their data, especially when using Apple devices. Of course you don't want your data to get into the wrong hands but do you realize how many people use iOS devices with location services ON, etc?

15. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

What does your privacy have to do with anything? Watch won't share or violate your privacy any more than any of apps it connects to your phone.
    I
    I should have read the thread before replying to the op. You already had my question covered :)

16. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I don't see the Apple Watch violating my privacy.

I use it to track my activity, exercise and weight, and I've lost 30 lbs in 6 months. Apple doesn't sell this data to 3rd parties and my ID is protected by two-factor authorization.

I've used it for directions when visiting New York City. I had the watch on silent and it gave me gentle taps when it was time to turn while walking though the city. Didn't need to be staring down at my phone's map. I found it very handy (no pun intended).

You said you can't use your watch at work for fear of damage. Depending on what you do, I can understand that. I find the text notifications and appointment reminders very handy. I have a busy work-day schedule and parts of it are managed on my behalf (Outlook delegates), so I don't always know when something is added until I receive the notification. On top of that, it's preferable for me to keep my phone on silent at work (patients don't like it when I receive a text message or reminder while talking to them) so with the watch I'm discretely notified and I can look when appropriate.

Oh, and I do use Apple Pay. Don't really care if people think it's funny to do on the watch or not. And if you're concerned about privacy, it's actually more private to use Apple Pay since the stores can't log the purchase to a specific individual.

17. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I was hoping for. I'm just trying to find out what those things might be.
    Without getting into the circumstances of my purchase decision, just accept my word that I didn't get into this blindly.
    What online accounts have anything to do with the Watch?

18. batting1000 macrumors 604

People act like they have top secret government secrets on their phone or watch..

19. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Any ones you have the iPhone app for that have a watch counterpart that you installed. It's getting hard to take this thread seriously.

20. Sill, Jun 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2016

Sill thread starter macrumors 6502

The Watch itself is more than an extension of the phone. If you don't understand what those sensors on the back can do, and the misuse they can be put to, perhaps you should consider how biomarkers can be used to control and manipulate people. Consider that right now people are being marketed the latest gee whiz product, smart LED lights. People have already found that the LEDs can be oscillated thousands of times per second to produce mood changes. Now couple that with a watch that can determine when the precise reaction has been achieved. You can induce euphoria, depression, anxiety, etc.

But right now, thats not material. As an extension of the phone, its useless unless you have a bunch of services turned on, chief among them Location Services, Wallet, and Health. I don't give up that kind of information to an electronic device.

The number of people using Location Services has nothing to do with me, so I don't see what your point is there.
    I'm presuming your talking about bank accounts?
    I guess you missed earlier when I said I pay cash for things. I don't have any bank accounts with online access established on the iPhone.
    I'm positive Apple sells nothing related to customer data. The data is there though. Thats enough for me. Congratulations on your weight loss. The Watch had little to do with it, btw. You simply paid more attention to what you're doing.

I find its no different than looking at the iPhone. I was in a meeting earlier today and when I didn't respond to my text alert (on vibrate), the watch poked my wrist. I found that it would be equally as rude to look at my watch, which in the days before smart watches was a huge faux pas. People can perceive that as you getting tired of the conversation.

No, the stores can't log the info, but the data of what you purchased, and when, and where, is still compiled. I don't want to make that kind of data available, so cash is king.
    While some people act like privacy concerns are a big joke. When you take down your curtains and blinds at your house, let us know how that works for you.

21. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

Yeah I'm out. "Existence of data that already exists = bad" is where my tolerance ends

22. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502

Its too bad. I was really looking forward to you explaining how that data exists in my case.

23. batting1000 macrumors 604

Yeah, that's a bit different. I'm confident in Apple protecting my privacy as well as the privacy of other users. Taking down the blinds and curtains is like removing privacy from your home...not sure how that can be equated to this situation. There's a difference between being concerned about privacy and being paranoid.
    Yup, clearly the device isn't for you. Some people need that extra motivation and the Watch being on your wrist provides that. It can remind you to do things and give you that extra push. Yeah you're paying more attention, but it's because the thing is on your body, it forces you to stick with it.

24. profmatt macrumors 65816

profmatt

People on here seem to get very aggressive and patronising if someone criticises an Apple product.

I've had my Apple Watch for just over a year. I originally bought one on Day 1, but then sent it back. A month later I bought another one. After trying out every strap I settled for the Link.

I'm still not sure what the Apple Watch is for. I'm still discovering uses for it.

But mostly, I just really love how it looks and that's enough for me.

25. Feenician macrumors 68040

Feenician

I think you did already. Quite apart from anxiety inducing led lights that "they" don't want you to know about your non led-induced anxiety seems to be traceability of your purchases (which has nothing to do with Apple Pay whatsoever. Credit cards/debit cards are traceable and so are the serial numbers of cash you withdraw from a bank) and unspecified "other data" that seems to cause you concern whose mere existence on the watch, though seemingly not elsewhere, causes you consternation.

Pro tip: everything you buy, buy ant method, can be known. Almost every form of comminication you use (not least of which, posting on a public message board about not wanting to be tracked) is instantly or legally/quasi-legally able to be found by law enforcement and other state and non-state actors. The watch is the least of your worries. Have a nice day citizen.
    It's really not about "criticizing an Apple product" - threatens plenty to criticize about AW. The op clearly made his mind up already, made a thread under the pretense of asking for other people's use cases for AW, completely ignored/dismissed anyone's reply and started talking about mood altering led lights used by, er, someone. TL;DR it's a troll thread

26. Sill thread starter macrumors 6502

Paranoia is a very good foundation for preserving privacy. Unfortunately its used as a pejorative in most cases.

Removing the curtains isn't as bad as what all these smart devices are doing, in my opinion. The worst thing that could happen if you have your windows uncovered is you might be seen walking around in your underwear, yet people are pretty strict about keeping the blinds drawn to prevent that. Yet people provide apps and devices with enough data to basically model each person in software, which is far more damaging. There are a lot of allegories to this in popular fiction, but when you consider that the major players are developing AI at an accelerating rate, Minority Report and the PreCrime Division come to mind. Its just that it won't be a trio of people with worldwide awareness doing the selection; instead we'll have multinational NGOs gathering enough information to build ever more accurate models of us that will constantly be presented with data and polled for responses. I'm pretty sure at least one advertising agency has publicly stated specific consumer modeling as one of their goals.

Companies themselves don't worry me so much, though. They have no power. You either buy their devices or you don't. But they compile data, and they don't throw it away ever. Facebook and Google have publicly admitted this several times. And the various governments out there want that data.