So should I not buy a mac until Sept. 9?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by provoloney, Sep 5, 2009.

1. provoloney macrumors newbie

I was wanting to buy a macbook pro 15 in order to get the student discount (free ipod) by Sept 8. But now I realize that they're going to update the ipods so I'd be getting something old. However, I've been wanting to try the shuffle, so that would be a good time to get it.

But anyway, isn't it possible that the will refresh the macbook pro in some way, however minor (more speed, memory, etc...). Does anyone think it's actually worthwhile to wait until next week?

2. gan6660 macrumors 65816

gan6660

The MBP will not see an update in any form at the Sept 9th event. I would buy now so you get the free ipod. Also I would get a touch and sell it and then buy the shuffle since you will make money that way.

3. provoloney thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! Any advice about which printer I should get as part of that companion promotion. I need an all-in-one, but I really want something that's easy to use (like a mac). I heard that with snow-leopard it may not matter anymore (scan, etc... is built in, not part of other software). The Canon is slow as hell, but I guess it should be easier to use than an HP.

By the way, is there any all-in-one printer that allows you to fax directly from your computer, and receive faxes on your computer?

4. skye12 macrumors 65816

skye12

Although I agree any MBP updates are unlikely, I would wait just to see
    if any new promotions materialize. With Apple, you never know what might
    show up.

5. js81 macrumors 65816

js81

I agree that on the 9th today's free iPod may be "old," but its still free! That seems to be par for the course, anyway - Apple gives away the old ones to make room for the new! Shouldn't be any updates to the MBP anyway... go ahead and get it now and enjoy/sell your new iPod Touch. :)

6. Mr. Monsieur macrumors 6502

Free Printer?

Where did you see this? I've heard some other people refer to it, but I couldn't find anything about it on the Apple site...could you post a link?

BTW...if you order now, you've got 14 days to return the computer (Apple pays shipping both ways!)...as I understand it, there's only a 10% restocking fee if you open up the packages...so...order the iPod and the MBP and don't open them until the 9th...:)...that's what I'm doing!

7. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

I'd buy it now. There won't be any new Mac hardware on Sept 9 (I'll eat my boxers if I'm wrong!) and even if you don't want the old iPods, you can sell it afterwards and get some money back for the MacBook Pro.

8. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

hes talking about the education discount. you have to be a college student of faculty member

9. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

http://store.apple.com/us/browse/campaigns/back_to_school

There's some mention of a printer in the fine print, but it's not clear what it means.

10. thelem macrumors newbie

11. 007bond macrumors 6502a

007bond

just to let you know i dont think the shuffle will be updated. at my local sams club they were out of iPod touches, iPod nanos, and Classics but all of the shuffles were still in stock. anyway i would still get a touch and sell it for the nano

12. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

When I ordered my MBP over the phone, they offered me the promo for both the iPod touch and printer. I got both rebates back.

13. provoloney thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks everyone. Yea, everyone should be able to get the printer rebate. They give you the rebate form at the store too, I think. The printer choices aren't very good, though.

14. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, its free. Don't complain!;)

15. Vster macrumors 6502

Free iPod, which eBayed/Craigslisted will put a sizable dent in whatever "newer" model iPods they announce.

16. bumzo1 macrumors 6502a