So..... should I wait?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by shortman, Mar 29, 2011.

1. shortman macrumors member

I currently have a Droid X on Verizon, and was going to wait for the iPhone 5 to come out before I made the switch, but with the news of a possibility of no iPhone 5, should I just get an iPhone 4? Let me know what you think...

Thanks

2. McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Don't wait. Get your iPhone 4 today. You will regret how many days you had without it. Live like there is no tomorrow.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

How much time is left on your contract for the Droid X? If it's going to be up sometime between June and September, you might as well wait.

4. shortman thread starter macrumors member

Not till 2012, but I do not like my phone and will be breaking contact either way.

5. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

6. Pink∆Floyd macrumors 68020

Pink∆Floyd

This

7. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

Definitely wait. At least wait until June and see what the announcement is all about. Don't believe this late iPhone garbage until Apple states a late release themselves.

8. Reach9 macrumors 68020

Reach9

There will be an iPhone 5, it'll just come out around September.
    I say wait it out.

9. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

I'm in the exact same position. I'm eligible to upgrade since March 23 on Verizon. I was going to wait until June to buy the iPhone 5, but now with all of the rumors of it not coming until Sept/Oct (6 months away) i'm considering just getting the iPhone 4 on Verizon now. That way, ill be locked into unlimited data as well. Any thoughts?

10. thaoxa macrumors newbie

Dudes, are yall serious?! Dont wait. All indications from all these rumors or whatever points to no iPhone 5, and even if there is an iPhone 5, I already claimed long ago that there wont be any major differences at all!

What can there possibly be more of?! iPhone 4 already has 2 cameras, legit retina display, etc. Do you really need a phone screen that big?! Prob. not. Forget the Droids, Androids, BB's, Windows....iPhone overall is better. iPhone 4 is legit. I ditched my BB Bold 9650 as soon as I could. You should too.

11. iApples macrumors 65816

iApples

If you honestly think there won't be an iPhone 5... there is something wrong with you. Do you understand how much Apple will make from the iPhone 5? They are estimating 100million iPhone 5's being sold. And if the June 6 event is all about the FUTURE of iOS then please explain how that means 'no iPhone 5'. People like you are the reason why these stupid 'no iPhone 5' rumors are going around. There WILL be an iPhone 5. End of story.

12. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

Oh. I didn't realize you made such a claim. In that case, don't wait and get an iPhone4. Heck, I've got an iPhone4 and I'll get another.

13. deafphillymac macrumors newbie

deafphillymac

>Update: Japanese blog Macotakara reports that the fifth-generation iPhone will "probably" not ship until 2012 based on the current status of part production.
    According to Chinese source, iPhone 5 will not probablly be shipped during 2011 because the parts manufacturing for iPhone 5 are not started.

>The site had previously offered relatively accurate information about the iPad 2. The site also reported earlier this month that the fifth-generation iPhone will adopt an aluminum back and a redesigned antenna.

>Update 2: Macotakara has clarified its original report to note that the fifth-generation iPhone is apparently not set to ship before the end of Apple's fiscal 2011, which occurs in late September 2011.

>Update 3: All Things Digital and Engadget are hearing similar claims that there will be no fifth-generation iPhone introduction at WWDC 2011.

I still have iPhone 3GS. I have been expecting iPhone 5 be released in June or July 2011. My 2 year contract is due to be expired on June 29, 2011, although I am eligible for an upgrade to iPhone 4 now.

Now the announcements above say that iPhone 5 will be released in September and shipped in early 2012. I am frustrated again. :mad:

Why would Apple be happy to postpone releasing and shipping to later dates? If Apple announces any release, they must be honest to tell truth in making their business good and success what they say and must not delay anything, but the releases of IOS and hardware must be on time to make their business good and success as what they would announce earlier.

Would Apple be happy to see people getting frustrated and angry and be happy to watch people to flock to PC Windows desktops and laptops, and other cell phones? If so, that's SO SAD!! :(

I don't know if my 2 year contract with AT&T to be expired in June 29th this year that would be continued or not because of iPhone 5 delaying to Sept or early 2012. I don't want iPhone 4 due to the antenna problem. Must I wait until then? If I am advised to go ahead to upgrade to iPhone 4, I don't want AT&T would require me to sign up for another 2 years which means I can't upgrade to iPhone 5 until Feb. 2013. :confused:

14. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

Why not get an iPhone 4? If you're breaking contract, you clearly don't care about cost ($700 for a phone??). So get the iPhone 4 now, lock in the unlimited data plan, then if you decide you want the iPhone 5 when it comes out (whenever that may be), just sell your iPhone 4. The resale value on iPhones is quite high, so you won't really be losing much. Especially since it would be so new, likely to be in near perfect condition. Also you can still sell your Droid X for probably around $300 or so I'm guessing, which is probably more than the contract price [I'm assuming] you paid for it.

If you are always waiting for the "next big thing" then you'll never buy anything. There is always going to be a better phone on the horizon... You have to draw the line at some point and just go for it.

15. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Buy Now!!

Just got the Iphone 4 Verizon, coming off a Droid X. The X was a really really good device, but the totality of the Iphone 4 is better. The OS is smooth and will probably get better. If they implement widgets, it will be wonderful. So far, I don't miss my Droid X.

16. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So what happens if you wait until June, and nothing happens, and come back and ask. People will tell you to wait until september. In the end you'll be waiting 5 - 6 months.

I purchased the iPhone 4 last month and have not regretted it one bit. Just get the iPhone 4, if apple releases the iPhone 5 in June or September. Sell the IP4 to offset the purchase price of the iPhone 5.

17. iPad 2 macrumors regular

It's cheaper to break your contract the longer you wait. The Driod X isn't a bad phone.

And it would be outright stupid of Apple to skip an year in iPhone releases when their hardware isn't in line with the competitors. Would lead to too many lost sales.

Odds are, Apple will atleast release an iPhone that is identical to the iPhone 4 (same parts) but with an A5 chip instead of an A4 chip so it'll be significantly faster. That's why the leakers are having a tough time spoiling it, because the A5 parts apple is making are assumed to be going into the iPad 2 only.

18. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

The Japan earthquake affected a lot of technology businesses. Especially those that manufacture parts. I think the care of a decimated country out ways a scheduled release of a product. I have no problem waiting a few more months or even till next year. At least those people who JUST upgraded to the iP4 can get more use out of it before it falls prey to "obsolete" when the iP5 comes out. lol

19. gslrider macrumors 6502

gslrider

I agree.

20. Simm0nS777 macrumors 6502a

So as long as I just "claim" something its true?!?! Wow I never knew that!!! Im gonna start claiming all sorts of stuff!!!

21. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

No reason to wait now that the iPhone 5 is delayed. Enjoy it now and trust me you will like it.

22. armalite macrumors member

Hey I just got the i4 today but I loved the DX. I switched completely over to Mac here so wanted the phone too. Going to miss some things on the DX though. The verizon guy told me what to do and someone on here gave me good advice. Get a 2nd line and pay the 10 bucks per month for it for 2 years (still cheaper then paying 350.00 for breaking your contract). Get a verizon phone that you can use for one of the numbers then get the i4 and get your main number put on that. Then sell your Droid X for whatever you can get for it. Now with two lines you can then get the i5 when it comes out, put the main number on that one then sell the i4.

I'm liking it so far even though no swype but it's going to take a day to get used to

23. Ponderous macrumors regular

I traded up my OG Droid for the iPhone 4 and have never been happier. I'd do it now if you're looking for a change, but it's up to you.

24. Vertigo50 macrumors 65816

Vertigo50

You should definitely get it now.

No wait, you should wait.

I guess what I really meant to say is, I don't care.

:rolleyes:

I have a question for you guys, though:

Should I start ANOTHER thread about whether I should buy a phone now or wait until later? I mean, the rumors are saying I should wait to start one, but I REALLY REALLY want to, and I can't be bothered to wait a few months for something, because I'm not a mature adult. I'm just a little spoiled child.

25. Ponderous macrumors regular

I'm sensing some sarcasm in that last post. Just sayin....