So should the 3G version have better Wifi Reception?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Jarmel, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Jarmel macrumors member

I've heard this rumor multiple times and was curious if this was true and why.

2. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Not sure how you expect anyone to know whether it's true or not. Check back in 10 days.

3. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Supposedly

The reason is: The WiFi iPad receives it's signal through the little rubber Apple on the back. While it works, the area is quite small. The 3G iPad has a plastic bar for which signals to come through. While this is done mainly for the 3G antenna, it will also allow for a larger surface through which to receive WiFi signal.

4. riyadc macrumors member

The plastic strip for the 3G antenna should make wifi reception better, but noone can be sure till it's out.

5. Jarmel thread starter macrumors member

I figured as much but was just confirming. Would this have a great impact on the reception(generally since the device is obviously not out yet)?

6. otis123 macrumors 6502a

I haven't had the wifi problems everyone one is talking about with my iPad, then again I do have an 802.11n airport extreme.

7. Smoothie97 macrumors member

But won't use of any silicon case or even the official Apple iPad case hinder 3G reception? I've got the Apple iPad case and love it. But I don't want it to affect my 3G reception.

8. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

Like i said, it should have some visible improvements. The iPad already has great reception (when it isn't a faulty model) and I assume the black bar should improve it by at least 20%

9. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Man what a Gong Show thread.

10. Soulcrux macrumors 6502

Soulcrux

No, because silcon/microfiber does not reflect waves. Think about it this way=your router still works even though its in the other room, because the signal can pass easily through wood/sheetrock/plaster.

This should have no perceivable hinderance on the reception

11. Goldfrapp macrumors 601

Goldfrapp

Latex, to be exact.

Don't worry, the signal penetration's gonna be silky smooth.