So since the new iMac has i5 and i7...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Akira1980, Oct 20, 2009.

1. Akira1980 macrumors 6502

Akira1980

Does this mean that the updated MBP will have i5 and i7 options in the near future? :D

2. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I don't think there was ever a doubt especially with i5 and i7 processors already in laptops (?). It's the matter of when. I would say with the next refresh of MacBook Pro's they should get them if not the whole lineup, probably the high end like the iMac.

4. kolax macrumors G3

iMac uses laptop parts for everything apart from the hard drive which is 3.5".

5. Chrysaor macrumors 6502

Macbooks are not getting i5/i7 except maybe the high end one.
    i5/i7 means no more 9400M, back to Intel IGP, and it consumes more power than C2D.

6. m85476585 macrumors 65816

But it doesn't have to run on a battery or fit in a 3/4" thick enclosure.

Apple would never make an i5/i7 laptop. It would end up like the many Windows gaming laptops--big, thick, heavy, and short battery life. Everything Apple tries to avoid with the MBPs.

7. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Arrandale, the laptop core i5 hasn't been launched to market yet, and as a conclusion it's been stated the new iMacs do NOT use laptop chips but full blown desktop ones both i5and i7 which means they are much more powerful.

And if Apple don't use core i5 or i7 in the next macbook pro refresh, no one will buy them. It's a bit stupid to think they won't actually considering the market they are aimed at and their cost.

8. kolax macrumors G3

Actually I take that comment back.

I didn't realise that the 27" iMac uses desktop class processors which is something new. My bad..

9. Akira1980 thread starter macrumors 6502

Akira1980

You and me both. It was true that all iMacs used laptop parts, but I guess not anymore.

10. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

It's on the front page of mac rumors. I don't think any of the new iMacs are using laptop chips, it's due to the bigger chassis they have so more space to play with.

11. kolax macrumors G3

Thought it was just the i5 and i7 in the 27" model? The 21.5" still uses laptop parts?

12. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

Just checked , yes your right, it only mentions the bigger chassis of the 27" model. Shame really but still, you know you'd want a 27" screen?

13. kolax macrumors G3

I'd love it.

To be honest, the main reason I can't switch to a desktop is the multi-touch trackpad on my MBP. I've just gotten too used to it - switching back and fourth with 3 finger swipe and 4 finger swipes. Also, 2 fingers to scroll horizontally and vertically or both together.

Now, the Magic Mouse offers similar functionality I think I could actually use an iMac and be able to switch between my MBP and iMac with ease.

Of course, the icing on the cake would have been the last minute rumour that there was a trackpad keyboard for the iMac.

14. apolloa macrumors G3

apolloa

I know what you mean, although I find it hard to click sometimes, I rarely use my mouse! I'll be waiting for the next MB Pro though I think, I like the portability and even though I have the first gen unibody 15" IMO the next update will be too good to miss!

15. m85476585 macrumors 65816

It's kind of hard to define desktop vs. laptop parts since small desktops or all-in-ones can use laptop parts, and some laptops use desktop parts (at least CPUs).