So, SMS Relay (Continuity) doesn't require a phone anymore?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sjinsjca, Oct 21, 2015.

1. sjinsjca macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Had something interesting happen while my phone was rebooting in the middle of updating to iOS 9.1.

Something totally mundane. I received a shipping notice via SMS.

On my Mac.

With my phone not booted.

Is this new behavior? It's pretty wonderful if it is.

2. CEmajr macrumors 601

I'm sure it was still routed through your iPhone. The message still comes through while your phone is rebooting, you just can't see it until it finishes. I was getting messages on my iPad while my iPhone was updating and when it finished those messages were still waiting to be read on the iPhone.

3. MacDevil7334 macrumors 6502a

MacDevil7334

4. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

AT&T here. And no WiFi calling option in my area yet.

5. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Maaaayyyybe. But consider, it means the SMS must be read by the not-yet-booted phone via the cell network, interpreted, converted to iMessage and routed out through WiFi? or Bluetooth? to my Mac or through the iMessage service over WiFi to the Internet? or something, in order for my Mac to display it. The phone was in the process of rebooting and showing the Apple logo.

Keep in mind I'd just upgraded iOS and had not yet entered in my iCloud credentials.

Very impressive in any case, and way mysterious.

6. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Sounds like a time to employ the scientific method. You've got a theory, now develop a test to see how well it holds up. Maybe ask a friend to text you in a couple minutes while you completely turn off your phone. Let's us know what happens.

7. sjinsjca thread starter macrumors 68000

sjinsjca

Superb idea, but all my friends have iDevices (so messages would ordinarily not send as SMS to begin with), and frankly I've lacked time.

My hope was that someone here might have thoughts on the mechanism. There's surprising little out there on how SMS Relay works.

8. AbsynthMinded macrumors member

If I am not mistaken, entering credentials at the beginning is purely for iCloud and has nothing to do with being signed into your iMessages. This is why you can skip it and activate it later, but still use iMessage.

When you turn on most phones, the cell radio(data included) is one of the first things to boot and remain on, even in the background during the Apple logo boot sequence. Also neither iMessage or SMS Forwarding protocols are removed from your devices during an update. Otherwise, you would have to actively sign into iMessage (re-selecting the emails and numbers associated) and get a new conformation code to use SMS Forwarding with apple devices.