So. So. So. Confused on Preorder

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by chferg, Sep 12, 2016.

1. chferg macrumors newbie

chferg

So I have been researching and trying to sort out the info and whenever I feel like I have found what I am looking for it always seems that their is something to contradict it.

I signed up for the Apple Upgrade Program for the iPhone 7S+. I am currently a Sprint customer but I chose the 24 month agreement with the Apple Store; I was under the impression that I would be able to move my service to another provider due to not being locked into a carrier agreement.

Is this correct? Will the Sprint model allow me to do that? It says under the plan that the phone is unlocked but what I've searched through on here says choosing Sprint when filling out the details will/might lock you to them; is this true? I need to know because I want to ditch them for AT&T or T-Mobile asap.

Thanks; I also apologize as I know most will say "use the search." I did but all this info is conflicting and I need help ASAP.

2. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

You bought the Sprint version of the iPhone, but all that means is that it will come with a Sprint SIM card (does Sprint even use SIM cards? I don't know). Basically, it's a phone compatible with the Sprint network. But no, buying that Sprint iPhone doesn't lock you to Sprint. You can take that phone and activate it with any service that is compatible with the model of phone you bought. You'll still be obligated to fulfill any prior contract requirements on your current Sprint plan, but outside of that, you will own your new iPhone and you can do whatever you want with it.

3. chferg thread starter macrumors newbie

chferg

Thanks that's all I needed to hear. Just got off with Apple Chat that said the same thing.

Yes Sprint does use Sim Cards still but I just paid off my LG G3 and will look to take my phone elsewhere due to coverage issues.

4. spazma7ik macrumors 6502a

You just have to be certain that the Sprint models come factory unlocked otherwise you need to go through Sprint to unlock it and take it elsewhere.

5. chferg thread starter macrumors newbie

chferg

From the Apple Upgrade Program FAQ's it says it is since I am purchasing through them and not the carrier.

6. SisterBlue22 macrumors 6502

SisterBlue22

Any iPhone purchased through the Apple Upgrade Program, or purchased at full price from Apple, is unlocked. The carrier versions differ by which LTE bands they support, but they are carrier unlocked from the factory.