SO SO SO SO Very annoyed with ATT

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hummer, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Hummer macrumors 65816

Hummer

So I'm trying to convert my prepaid iPhone to post paid. Now I'm getting the run around on information and not getting a straight answer. I went into ATT yesterday with my friend who is doing me the very nice favor of signing for the account for me because she has credit and I don't. They told me to come back today because my account was in "pulldown" yesterday. He also told me to cancel my automated payments which was ******** because now I have no balance and I can't top up. So now I'm stuck phoneless until this pull down is over. But what makes it worse is that I did come back with my friend and guess what they couldn't do it again. Now I feel bad because twice in a row my friend had come out of class to help me do this and both times they told me they couldn't do it.

What the hell is a pull down. Why is my account going through it and why can I not go straight to post paid with my number.

They gave me the bull reason that since my GoPhone account is so close to the next billing date that I cannot do anything. They only gave me the option to create a new account, but I'd lose my number forever. Now I think this is unacceptable that I cannot simply switch over. And that they have to give me such runaround because there is no exact date for my account to come out of Pull down so I don't know when to go back. The guy at the store told me the 9th, but then the lady on the phone tells me she thinks the 12th. I don't care how long it takes but the fact that I can't use my phone during this time makes it worse. I don't know what to do.

This is so annoying that I called up a week ago asking if this could be done and they said very reassuringly that I could. I go in and they tell me my account is in some imaginary system hold for no reason. Then they tell me to come back the next day. I CALL customer service to confirm this, which they do. I come back and they still can't do it. Now the fact they have no exact date irks me and the fact that I cannot use my phone or even top up irks me even more. And its just because their stupid system needs a required full payment for the month as it is pick your plan and not pay as you go.

What also made me mad is I asked them could I create the account and then port my number from the prepaid to the post paid account. Guess what, the lady says yes. The lady even says that she'll call for me and find out, she comes back and says with a very reassuring voice that of course they can do it. At this point I'm so skeptical because it seems like no one knows anything so I call the porting center myself and they tell me its not possible because its ATT to ATT and they can only move the number onto the plan and not replace my number with that number. So if I would have done that I would have been screwed unless I forked out the extra cash for activation and phone.

2. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

I have had stuff like this happen to me before. Customer Service training is bull **** and I'm not surprised that you got two different answers.

I think the reason your getting this treatment is because your a prepaid customer and that puts you pretty low on the food chain.

It is likely, however, that the store received special authorization to help you out since you have been getting the round about and they dont want this story getting to big.

If I where you I would go back to the store and double check with the store girl and go through with it. At worst she butchers your account and the company steps in to cover you.

And really how bad is it to lose your number. All you have to do is call those who count and give em your new number. Infact if memory serves you can have calls to one phone forwarded to the other which could be viable for the first one or two months of post paid service.

3. victry1 macrumors newbie

Consider Grand Central

ert:

I know you will probably be keeping your number, but a good central # for you might be one from Grand Central.com. They give you a # & you tell them where to forward the calls to. Great for people with cell phones only as it's not always great to give your cell phone to everyone.

Hope all gets straightened out to your satisfaction.

4. ~Phi macrumors regular

5. avaloncourt macrumors 65816

That sounds like a Judge Judy episode waiting to happen. :)

That's exactly what we do. Everyone gets the GrandCentral number and we divide out who gets forward to what phone and who gets sent to voicemail jail from the control panel. Google was very wise snapping them up. It's a great service... and free :)

6. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

that is great and all but its not me who needs help its hummer.

7. victry1 macrumors newbie

oops

:eek::eek: ooops........asleep at the keyboard.....

8. JMD123 macrumors member

Isnt the real lesson here to protect/establish your credit. You probably would not have even needed to contact AT&T and have a Pay as you go phone if you had good credit in the first place.

How come someone with bad/no credit is getting an iPhone... get a free razor and save the money and pay your bills on time...