So somebody tried to login to my account

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by pHeNom, Jun 19, 2012.

1. pHeNom macrumors regular

I got an email from macforums and it informed me somebody tried to login under my username 5 times. It wasn't me because I was asleep when this happened. Just wondering if this happened to others.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

This happened to me a few years ago. And I just went and changed my password to something crazy so it couldn't be hacked.

3. Macman45, Jun 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 19, 2012

Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

It's never happened to me, but safety first....Change your password and contact the Mods via the email you got. Somebody in your house / family messing around maybe?

4. pHeNom thread starter macrumors regular

About to do that. thanks! :D

----------

I deleted the email I wasnt thinking. I shouldve kept it.

I doubt its anybody in my house because I live by myself :forever alone:

I think its somebody from the forums who is mad at me or something because when you want to login you just type your actual username right?

that sucks. oh well they tried but they didnt succeed! :cool: :fingers crossed:

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Has happened to me in the past as well

Doesn't have to be a disgruntled member
    Spammers have been known to hijack accounts as well

Change your password to something strong and pay attention to your account and you will be fine

6. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

No offense to MR but....

Nearly the crime of the century?
    What's on MacRumors that someone would want? Keep your credit cards on it? Sensitive "special" pics of the wife? If it's hacked, so what, make a new account and move on. And why would spammers want it? They can make their own for free.
    Pbbbt....

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No can do

Forum Rules

4. Multiple registration. You may register only one account, and if you were banned or given a temporary forum time-out, you may not reregister. Reinstatement can come only from an administrator.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

A spammer hijacking an established account can be more difficult to detect at first

9. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Some people are really desperate for an avatar.

This. A new account posting spam is banned without a thought. An established member posting a spammy link may be considered a review or something. We give more established members the benefit of the doubt, where spanking brand new members do not get that luxury. Eventually we would catch on, but by then the link(s) would be out there for a while.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Could well be....We haven't had another determined attack from the streaming spammers this week...Maybe they are trying more devious tactics.

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Most often it's just an innocent error...somebody thinks they have an account here with the username you have, and they're trying to log in.

But yes, sometimes it's somebody either specifically trying to gain access to your account or a non-specific attempt at hacking accounts through trial and error.

In general I'd say not to worry about it unless you have reason to believe otherwise or it continues.