So someone please explain SHSH blobs to me

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by supermac96, Nov 27, 2010.

1. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

So on cydia I chose to have it save my SHSH blobs. Does this mean I can update and It will keep cydia and all my apps and everything? If not, What do they do and how can I use them?

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

They allow you to restore to the current firmware after apple has stopped allowing it. Which can be critical for jailbreaking/restoring and such if they rely on exploits that apple has fixed in later firmware.

3. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

An SHSH blob is basically a unique number that's made from your phone serial number and firmware version. Everyone's is unique per firmware. It basically allows you to downgrade your firmware if you need to (it tricks iTunes into thinking it's talking to Apple's servers when it's talking to Cydia's). They're more important now because Apple has started making the firmware check the baseband version (modem firmware - useful for unlocking) to make sure it's up to date. The hackers are saying that they're working on a workaround so that we can spoof iOS into thinking it's got the right baseband (or something similar to that).

My question is this. In Cydia it shows that I have saved my SHSH blob for 4.1 but in Tiny Umbrella 4.1 isn't listed. Do I actually have it saved?

4. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Unless you've gone and manually saved it in tinyumbrella, then you don't have a local copy, only on cydia servers.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Ahhh that's the difference between the two. Thanks. I'm screwed as far as an unlock goes for this round then. Oh well, not switching networks or selling my phone anytime soon anyway.

Thanks.

6. HXGuy macrumors 68000

I can't stand th term "SHSH blobs" for some reason. What's with the name? Why not "SHSH number" or SHSH identifier" or something?

7. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Tinyumbrella can download the shsh's from cydia aswell as apple, though. so long as cydia has them, tinyumbrella can still download it. By default it uses cydia servers as gobetween anyway.

8. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Excellent! It's showing up now. Not sure why it wasn't showing up before. Thanks.

9. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

So people are saying that that it basically allows you to downgrade if you need to. so if you accidently upgrade to a firmware that there is no jb for, you could downgrade to the firmware you had before? or am I completely not understanding this? ALso how would you do the downgrading. (No im not one of those people who upgrades accidently and loses there jb and starts freaking out. Im just interested).

10. soulghost macrumors regular

soulghost

Correct.

11. supermac96 thread starter macrumors 6502a

supermac96

and how would you do that?