So someone stole...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nickspohn, Dec 31, 2008.

1. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

A Zune from me a while back. I forgot about it because I really didn't care then, but I know 100% who took it, and it has only recently pissed me off. I'm trying to figure out what I should do. I have the box for it of course, and the serial numbers would match.

Should I get the police involved? I know for a fact he has it now. Only problem is it's been so long since it happened. To be honest, this kid is a huge backstabber, and I wouldn't mind not getting my Zune back if I got to kick his ass.

2. gadgetdad macrumors 6502a

gadgetdad

I would file a police report and tell them what you know. Then after he gets out of jail, kick his A$$!

3. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

4. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Yes, it is a 30GB Zune hahahahahahhahah

That's what made me think about it.

5. MasterNile macrumors 65816

MasterNile

How long ago was it stolen? did you have the firmware on it that seems to be causing the error? Do you think he would have updated the firmware on it?

6. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

7. Auzburner macrumors 65816

Auzburner

Eh, try and file a report. I just texted my friend who had their Zune stolen last January and made a joke that they have a white 30GB brick as a reward! LMAO perfect. We know who it was, but could never prove it...

8. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

You think having a witness will matter?

I brought it up to him before, and he said "yeah ill give it back next week". So i think I'm going to record him and get him to say it again.

9. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Isn't your statute of limitations coming to an end soon?

I have no idea what Illinois has as its limits on petty theft, but something tells me that the police will be very minimally interested in a couple-hundred Dollar music player that went missing a year ago.

I think it's best to forget about it and move on.

10. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Isn't the limit longer?

If they don't help, then I'll just take matters into my own hands.

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I have no idea what the limit is, but FindLaw seems to say that for misdemeanors the limitation is 18 months for a criminal prosecution, which means that the police might have a window of opportunity still. However, given the fact that it's already been a while and the item isn't worth very much, I think they're going to just let it get buried.

Would it really be worthwhile? I know it sucks to lose something, especially when it's something that isn't cheap, but consider how much trouble it's going to be to take someone to small claims court and the time you'll expend to get back either the Zune itself or some portion of its cost.

You should consider everything carefully before being rash.

12. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

This is the time the OJ re-theft idea works.

As long as you have reported it stolen, beforehand.

If you can steal it and run away in front of his mother and let her call the police on you ... she would get POd having to bail him out.

---

Or just kick his ass and take it back, usually they don't want to turn people that beat them up to recover the stolen merchandise they had on them.

13. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

This kid is a complete jack off. He is cocky and annoying. I would get more pride out of him getting dominated by me, than getting my Zune back.

The Zune has sentimental value because my sister bought it for me, who lives a 1000 miles from me, and I went with her to get it.

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

That's not a reason to do anything, let alone break the law.

He may have stolen something from you, but if you decide to get physical, the police aren't going to be after him.

Then why did you let this fester for so long? In your OP you claimed that it really didn't matter to you when it was stolen.

I'm having trouble believing that your emotional bond with your sister increased by that much over 11 months, and I find it much more likely that you're out to become the next Hamlet.

Let it go and move on. You'll be better off. :)

15. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

He stole a Zune. Isn't that punishment enough?

16. nickspohn thread starter macrumors 68040

nickspohn

It's not breaking the law if i play my cards right, and I know my cards. He's that cocky he would make the first move, even on my property probably.

I have more stuff to worry about than a Zune. I have an iPhone, so a Zune would serve me no purpose daily, but it is still my property. Things have also changed since then, but it's still my Zune, and he doesn't deserve to have it.

17. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

The OP has 3 years to file a stolen property report, (depending on the property value of the Zune player), after which time the statute of limitations in the state of IL would not allow a criminal complaint to go to trial. Again, everything is dependent on the value of the Zune player...

Remember, possession is 9/10th's of the law. The perp can always say that you gave it to him, and he wouldn't have to prove otherwise since you have failed to respond in a timely manner with the filing of a stolen property report...

18. Hawkeye411 macrumors 68000

Hawkeye411

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

:D Some people are gluttons for punishment..