So, still no 3G on TMobile?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by TitanTiger, Aug 4, 2010.

1. TitanTiger macrumors 6502

I'd read some speculation that since Apple doesn't typically divulge all the hardware specs, that once the jailbreak for iPhone 4 came through perhaps we'd maybe find out they'd snuck the ability to use TMo's odd 3G frequency in there for a reveal later. I'm guessing since no one has broadcast this capability to the world that it's still AT&T only for 3G?

2. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Once iFixIt did their teardown, they got the chip model number and looked it up on the manufacturer's site (i think its Broadcom) and the AWS band isn't listed as one of the supported frequencies.

3. Kayan macrumors 6502

So if you're on TMO then you can only use the EDGE connection? That kind of deters me from wanting to unlock and switch to TMO even if it is an arm and a leg cheaper...

4. Krafty macrumors 601

Krafty

Correct.

5. mustnotsleep macrumors 6502

can you add edge to an iphone that has a tmobile prepaid sim in it?

6. benflick macrumors 68020

benflick

Yeah, you need to enter APN settings though for it to work correctly.

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That nonse wishful thinking that some posted about Apple Sneaking in Tmobiles 3G frequency on their 3G chips is retarted.

8. wenglish macrumors member

Does Apple have a separate model for those countries that use the "other" set of 3G frequencies? For example, if someone bought an iPhone 4 in the UK and got O2 to unlock it (or unlocked it themselves), would it work on T-Mobile's US 3G and not on AT&T's 3G?

I'm basing this assumption on the info that Google had up for the different Nexus One models (before they killed the site).

9. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

As I understand it, the US is the only place where T-Mobile uses a frequency for 3G that the iPhone doesn't receive. The T-Mobile 3G other places is on an iPhone frequency.