So... Target or Apple for ordering iPhone 5s?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ethanlee, Sep 15, 2013.

1. ethanlee macrumors regular

Just called my local Target and they seemed to be saying that if you get on the reservation list, they'll have a unit for you by September 20th (although the rep seemed a bit clueless as to the actual dates and thought Apple was doing reservations as well).

There's one person on the reservation list other than me, and he said that the stock they'll be getting on launch day will probably only be the models on the reservation list :confused:

Should I play it safe with Apple Online Store on midnight next Friday and wait or risk it on Target and possibly have it on Launch Day? I suppose there's no risk involved in reserving at Target as you don't have to pay upfront but I don't want to have to wait if my Target ends up getting it much much later...

2. user-name-here macrumors 65816

You know what they say: One bird in the hand...

I wouldn't trust Target to get enough stock or even the clueless employees to really keep your spot on the list.

Go with Apple and be done with it.

3. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

I completely trusted Target last year and Pre Ordered the 5 through them. It was a complete let down. They promised me launch day, but they didn't have any. I called the next day (Saturday) and he said they're not expecting any even though they assured me I would get it launch day. Long story short I cancelled at target and just drove to Frys and bought one. Even Apple Stores still had them in stock.

4. ethanlee thread starter macrumors regular

Guess I'll be sticking with :apple: then. Probably just a marketing ploy by Target anyway. And my rep was continuously mixing up the 5c and 5s so I probably shouldn't trust him to get an order for launch day.

5. 12vElectronics macrumors 68040

12vElectronics

Yea, it was a nightmare for somebody like me who wanted it on launch and put my faith that Target would stand behind their word. I was lucky that Frys had some in stock..

6. Burton8219 macrumors 6502

Anyone have any experience with Walmart? I'm hoping to stop by before work since they open at 6 and try to snag one. Or will they not be able to sell them at 6 and have to wait until 8?

7. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

if Target doesn't contact you a day before the then just order on-line depending on the wait times.

They should know Thursday what they will be receiving on Friday.

8. TheRaxar macrumors member

I also called two of my local Targets and set two reservations for the iPhone 5S at two different stores in my area. One guy seemed to know what he was talking about and said they will have them for pick up on the 20th. Another location I called that's a little farther away said they might even have some extras and only two on the reservation list. Really don't know if I should camp out at an Apple store or try the Target option..

9. 628 macrumors regular

They told me 8-9am they (the mobile center) open at 9 and they expect to get the shipment at 8

10. karmatourer macrumors 6502a

karmatourer

Radio Shack worked for me with the 5,but I may be the only person RS came through for.:eek:

11. ajaxmonkey macrumors member

ajaxmonkey

I also reserved at the local target I'm going to call just in case like Wednesday or Thursday to see if they know for sure.

12. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

I can't imagine why anyone would go with Target, Walmart, RadioShack... unless there was not an Apple store or corporate carrier store within a reasonable distance. The kids that work in those places are usually completely clueless. I've read so many horror stories over the years from people who went that route.

Do your self a favor and go to the Apple store or to a Corporate AT&T/Verizon/Sprint store. You'll save yourself a lot of hassle and wasted time.

13. ethanlee thread starter macrumors regular

I don't have time on Friday to get to a local hectic Apple Store...so I'm trying my options at other places that might otherwise be less busy yet still have stock on launch day. Yes, they're clueless but they might have what I want :)

14. Bacong macrumors 68020

Bacong

I work at Target and I'm way more informed about mobile devices than any of the mobile reps. They're just bodies.

15. user-name-here macrumors 65816

LoL :p

I agree. I feel the same way when I go to any carrier store and talk to the sales reps. They don't really know much of anything, just are there for the paycheck (which I can't blame them for, gotta pay the bills).

16. theyaxis macrumors newbie

I went to Target the other night and they had a girl who was the "go to" when it came to reserving/pre-ordering the new iPhones. She was very knowledgeable and had an answer to all our questions. We pre-ordered the 5C by purchasing a $25 Target gift card. The gift card could be used whenever, so we actually used it that night on other stuff. We also reserved two of the 5S phones; they're not guarantees. She said what'll happen is once they get the phones in stock, they'll shoot me an e-mail. I'll have 48 hours to call the store and schedule an appointment to pick up my phones. After 48 hours, they'll release the phones from reserve and sell them like normal.

Since we're not into standing in lines for hours at a time, this was a pretty good solution (given it works out in the end). My family isn't in a rush to get the new phones, so it's fine if we don't receive the call right away.

17. Gjwilly macrumors 68030

My Target doesn't have a "kid" working the cell phone counter but the corporate carrier stores sure do.
    Talk about clueless.
    :rolleyes:
    Plus Target gives a 5% discount if you use their card and they also do in-store trade-ins.
    If you absolutely have to have it before anyone else then there might be better choices but otherwise, Target is great.

18. phpmaven macrumors 68040

phpmaven

When you get to be an old geezer like me, everybody under 30 is a "kid". Also, I wasn't saying they were clueless because they are young.

19. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

Target came through for me with the 5 last year with the reservation. My rep called me the day before to let me know it was in stock. Walked in at 9am and walked out at 9:15am. Did the same thing for the 5s. Hopefully they do the same.

Did anyone recieve their email confirmation from Target yet?

20. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

If I don't get an email from Target by this evening I am just ordering online at 3AM....

If I happen to get an email before the Online Order ships I will cancel and go pick it up...Either way I am not camping out or standing in line...

21. Sodner macrumors 68020

Sodner

Ya get SHEETS and TOWELS at Target. Get your iPhone from APPLE.

22. NickG420 macrumors regular

NickG420

You get your sheets and towels from Ralph Lauren....Those things last forever...

23. KdParker macrumors 601

KdParker

Did you get your phone on release day last year?

24. CBSubliminal macrumors 6502

CBSubliminal

Yes I got the 5 on release day last year.

25. carelesswhisper macrumors member

I was 11th on their reservation list and have not heard from them yet. Not that I'm complaining since I managed to get a phone from AT&T this morn.