So the 8GB Touch hasn't changed? Did the Apple Store lie to me...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Vandam500, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Vandam500 macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I was waiting until today to get a Touch for my little brother (Birthday tomorrow). After reading the conference today (disappointed about the no camera thing) I went to the Apple Store to get the Touch at the new low price.

They tell me they have the old 8GB touch for $189 but not the new one for $199. So I ask him I thought the 8GB remained the same but just got a price drop. He then goes to the back to get some more information and comes back and tells me the new 8GB Touch has better video graphics and they don't have it yet.

I didn't purchase the Touch they had for $189 because it's the "old version". I am now looking everywhere and see no mention of the 8GB touch getting the "faster performance" that was announced at the conference.

Can someone fill me in please? Was I right or the Apple Store guy right?

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

3. Miko macrumors member

Why is Apple selling identical iPod Touches for different prices?

4. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Wow... So I have to make a second trip to the Apple Store
    because they did not know about the products they are selling... that is amazing.

5. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Voice Controls were not added either. So Apple will probably have to clarify what they did. They did "drop the price." In some thought though. The old iPod Touch will not have the 3.0 firmware....

6. MVApple macrumors 6502a

It's tough to say until people compare the two or open them up. On the Apple website the 32 and 64 models say "faster performance" which is noticeably absent from the 8 model. Faster performance than what though? The previous generation? Or the previous generation and the 8 model? It's possible the 8 also has a new processor that does open gl 2.0 but a new processor which is still slower than the 32 and 64.

Looking through the specs on the Apple site we just can't say. Someone will do a tear down and then we'll know for sure. It'll probably be a few days till that happens though. In the meantime maybe you can ask your little brother to wait a few days to open it?

7. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

So wait the iPod Touch 8gb was 189 this morning

They jacked up the price $10 and it's exactly the same?

hahahahahaaaaaaaaa

8. FSMBP macrumors 68020

FSMBP

As mentioned, the iPod Touch this morning at $189 does NOT include 3.0 (a $10 upgrade). So, buying the "new" iPod touch 8GB and old 8GB costs the same, with having the newest 3.1 OS.

9. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I see. But I thought I saw the 3.1 update costs 4.95???

10. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

Hmmm, that is what I was thinking. Thanks :)

11. puffnstuff macrumors 65816

^ that's what I was thinking :confused:

12. Vandam500 thread starter macrumors 68000

Vandam500

I'm going to go tomorrow and see if I can get the $189 Touch since essentially it hasn't changed. I hope it has 3.0 already installed though, it should since 3.0 has been out for a couple of months anyhow.

13. goosnarrggh macrumors 68000

You're right, it's been out for a few months. But up until yesterday at least, all iPod touches shipped with OS 2.x, with 3.x as a paid upgrade.

Only as of yesterday's announcement will any iPod touches start shipping with OS 3.x. Which likely required the issuance of a new "updated" SKU to reflect the new baseline configuration. Any older iPods still in the supply line with the older SKU will probably ship with the older OS.

(Remember, due to its efforts to comply with SOX, Apple treats the product as the combination of software + hardware together, not just the hardware alone.)

14. 4DThinker macrumors 68020