so the Apple guy said 15 seconds for waking up the new mouse was normal...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by janush, Dec 10, 2009.

1. janush macrumors newbie

I spent a great deal of time trouble shooting another issue on the phone the other day with Apple help and whilst we we were waiting for something I mentioned that, whilst I loved the new mouse, it often took quite awhile to 'wake up' if it had been switched off and then on again. In fact I found that I couldn't get the imac (new gi7) to recognise the mouse after putting the mac to sleep for 8 hours or so and switching the mouse off - I ended up plugging in my old Logitech bluetooth one just to shut down. A restart sorted everything out but I did notice that putting the imac to sleep again AND switching off the mouse and switching it back on again to wake up the mac took between 5 to 20 twenty seconds - the longer the mac was asleep the longer the mouse took to be recognised. Now, the point is - my trusty Logitech (also bluetooth) is ALWAYS INSTANT!.... I mean, there's no lag, ever! The Apple guy actually repeated this on quite a few macs in his office or asked his work buddies to do this and the senior guy in his office said that a 15 second lag was normal. I said - you're kidding.... my Logitech works on your brand new imac and is always instant (and it has touch left and right momentum scrolling like the magic mouse). The Logitech also has a much faster cursor movement across the screen.

I guess what I'm asking is if the magic mouse lag time from wake-up is normal and if anybody else use a third party mouse that has instant response from wake-up.

2. Philinghorn macrumors newbie

Hello,

I don't turn my magic mouse off, just put my iMac to sleep. The mouse is ready to go as soon as the iMac wakes up (usually a matter of a second or 2).
    Have you tried not turning off the mouse ? I guess if you turn off the mouse the bluetooth has to reconnect which might take a bit longer.

Phil

3. stevemiller macrumors 68000

i hadn't really tested the sleep/wakeup times, but my experiences with bluetooth mice have generally been poor. like you said, tracking doesn't seem as smooth as with straight wireless mice.

good luck getting it sorted out. personally, finding a mouse that works well for me is always the biggest challenge.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I have the MM and I don't turn it on/off. Perhaps I should but its just easier keeping it on. Once I start chewing through batteries, maybe I'll change my tune ;)

I agree that the tracking is subpar to a wired mouse, but this was a birthday gift. My biggest gripe is the scroll area of the mouse. Seems too sensitive to various touches. I scroll down and it suddenly scrolls up beyond what I want, or it will suddenly scoll to the left/right. Overall I'm pretty pleased with it and I'm hoping further updates to the driver will refine my experience.

5. janush thread starter macrumors newbie

I've had the imac and new mouse for 12 days and have switched off the mouse at night... it currently reads 50% charge.

6. madog macrumors 65816

madog

I've got the old mighty mouse, and I don't turn it off anymore. It's been asleep for the better part of 3 months, and still has 65% of battery life left.

Also, I've always noticed that if I turn on the mouse while my Mac is already on, it will take at the very least 20 seconds or so to connect. However, if I turn the mouse on just before the Mac desktop loads, or just before I wake it up then it will be connected instantly. Same thing would happen to me too if I slept the computer, and disabled the mouse. I would almost certainly have to have the mouse on before I woke up the machine, or else I wouldn't be able to connect it (or it would take even longer to connect by itself).

Because of that, I just leave it on and let it sleep.

If the mouse is having issues connecting, then it shouldn't be connected when the cursor first becomes visible on the screen. That should also take 15-20 seconds. I think you are just experiencing the normal way Apple's mouse works if you turn it off when the computer isn't off as well. The way the mouse reconnects is sad like that.

7. janush thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just surprised that Logitech can make a bluetooth mouse that wakes instantly no matter what mode (or for how long) the mac is in and that Apple, well.... can't

8. madog macrumors 65816

madog

Could be the trade off of a mouse always in discovery/connect mode when it's otherwise not connected, or not but preserving battery life. Apple typically has at least some reason, somewhat logical to at least one person working there, for doing what they do.