So the Apple Watch 3 cellular isn't coming to Norway?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Norwegian_Imposter, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Norwegian_Imposter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

2. Horizon Man macrumors newbie

Yeah same for Finland, all that hype and then.....nothing

3. Norwegian_Imposter thread starter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

I was day one too :( the fact they mentioned Norway in the cellular less version fml. Norway citizens have a lot of disposable income. Probably more per citizen that the UK. So annoying

4. Norwegian_Imposter thread starter macrumors regular

Norwegian_Imposter

Any ETA on when the Cellular version will be coming to the nordics?

5. gedi macrumors newbie

gedi

6. mrzeb macrumors newbie

Having the same problem. I was thinking, would it be possible to buy one in the UK and then "activate" the LTE-functionality once it is available in the nordics? Also, if you buy the LTE version, can you use it without activating it (and just run bluetooth/wifi).

7. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Same here in Sweden. At least we can buy the version without cellular (which is cheaper).

8. Osamede macrumors 6502a

Why would you want to buy the version of a Ferrari that comes only with a crank/chain and footpedals, because it is "cheaper"?

Don't buy the stage 2 prototype. Make them present you with the real deal if they want your money.

9. Osamede macrumors 6502a

This devices uses an eSim. Which is probably the reason it won’t be sold in Norway.

10. Puonti macrumors 6502a

It will be. Apple and the local operators just need to work out the details. And as with Apple Pay or the HomePod, Apple chooses to prioritize certain regions when rolling out these things.

11. Osamede macrumors 6502a

It “will be” based on your assumptions- or known facts.

The eSim is reason why some other devices have not been released in Norway. As far as I know neither Telenor nor Telia which operate the mobile networks in Norway, have provisions for eSim. Unless that has changed?

12. Puonti, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Puonti macrumors 6502a

I don't assume this kind of stuff, but I'm also not in Norway so the information I have might not match with what's actually happening over there. I'm basing my claim on information from the Apple website, which states that LTE iPads with eSIM are supported by the Telenor and Telia networks in Norway:

https://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

And that Apple SIM, which can come in the form of a SIM card or eSIM, is supported in Norway:

https://www.apple.com/ipad/apple-sim/

Is it possible this is a recent change you weren't aware of?

13. mrzeb macrumors newbie

Replying to my own question :) Got in contact with the support that said:

14. Osamede, Sep 22, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2017

Osamede macrumors 6502a

From what I can see, what you need to do is to make sure you buy from Apple an unlocked version of Model A1889 (38mm) or Model A1891 (42mm), not tied to any specific mobile carrier, but it has the hardware to be used in Norway (LTE bands 3, 7 and 20).

https://www.apple.com/watch/cellular/
    • Apple Watch Series 3
    • Model A1889 (38mm)
    • Model A1891 (42mm)
    LTE
    • 1 (2100 MHz)
    • 3 (1800 MHz)
    • 5 (850 MHz)
    • 7 (2600 MHz)
    • 8 (900 MHz)
    • 18 (800 MHz)
    • 19 (800 MHz)
    • 20 (800 DD)
    • 26 (800 MHz)
    UMTS
    • 800 MHz
    • 850 MHz
    • 900 MHz
    • 2100 MHz

Australia
    France
    Germany
    • TelekomDeutsche Telekom customers will be prompted to enter a unique code when setting up Apple Watch for the first time. Be sure to contact the carrier to retrieve this code prior to setup.
    Japan
    Switzerland
    • SunriseComing later this year.
    • Swisscom (EN, FR, DE)Coming later this year.
    United Kingdom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_LTE_networks_in_Europe
    https://www.frequencycheck.com/countries/norway
    Frequencies in use
    GSM
    Name Interface
    900 (E-GSM) GSM
    1800 (DCS) GSM

UMTS
    Name Interface
    B1 (2100) UMTS

LTE
    Name Interface
    B3 (1800 +) LTE
    B7 (2600) LTE
    B20 (800 DD) LTE

15. mrzeb macrumors newbie

Yes but i guess that's what the support mentioned, between the lines, by stating this:

16. xworker macrumors newbie

Does this mean I can buy an Apple Watch LTE abroad and hope to use it in Norway with my carrier (Telenor) when they support it?

17. Puonti macrumors 6502a

I believe the ”regional models” refer to band configurations, and on top of that you have the carrier support which is configured within the Apple eSIM that is built into the watch (which defines which carriers the watch works on). I don’t think there’s been any evidence to contradict this yet? As in, no one’s bought an LTE Apple Watch Series 3 and taken it to another country to connect to a different carrier?

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/09/15/apple-watch-series-3-lte-limitations/

18. palmerc, Nov 12, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2017

palmerc macrumors 6502

palmerc

Currently Telenor does not support eSIM... and yes, it will require Telenor adding this functionality to their systems and changing processes. I've been told by someone that would know that the eSIM project had been cancelled earlier to cut costs and will not be restarted before 2018. So I'd get on social media and bug Telenor to get on with it.

19. Osamede macrumors 6502a

Ironically Norway is their home market and is they ond they milk the customers, then take the money abroad and pose as “innovators”.

20. squirrrl macrumors 6502a

squirrrl

21. palmerc macrumors 6502

palmerc

I personally find Telenor to be an excellent service provider and have no complaints with regards their service. eSIM, prior to Apple Watch, has not presented a compelling reason for anyone to build out this capability.

22. Osamede macrumors 6502a

It’s been for a long time clear the train was heading this way both on the esim front AS well AS rise og Microsoft devices such smartwaches. For this network provider to be AWOL on a device that will be huge seller in Norway isn’t exactly good customer service. It’s just milking their position and not staying ahead.

23. palmerc macrumors 6502

palmerc

You're insinuating malice where this is none. eSIM is not a matter of setting it up once and then every device that has an eSIM will work. It is still very early days for eSIM and each device/product launch will require specific support/work from the carrier to add the necessary backend functionality. Apple Watch is the first popular device with eSIM and will be rolled out slowly around the world, but it is happening.