So the base MBP 13" uses a 15W CPU now?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by johngwheeler, Oct 30, 2016.

1. johngwheeler macrumors 6502

It seems the non-Touch Bar 2016 MBP uses a 15W CPU similar to the MBA. Is this correct?

This would explain why it has only 2 TB3 connections instead of 4.

The only one I can find that has the quoted 2.0GHz clock speed is this:

http://ark.intel.com/products/91156/Intel-Core-i5-6360U-Processor-4M-Cache-up-to-3_10-GHz

released in Q3'15, so a year old now.

I understand that Kaby Lake 15W processors only have the HD 620 iGPU at present, but wouldn't this have been a better option that Intel Iris 540? I appreciate that Apple can't control Intel's release schedule, but buying a brand new computer with last year's CPU isn't very enticing.

I'm really not very impressed that Apple has released a machine that is less powerful, has few connectivity options and is more expensive. This is really a replacement for the MBA, and should be priced as such, with maybe a small increase to cover the better display.

I'm comparing this to the Dell XPS 13, and the Dell seems to offer a much better deal, albeit with Windows and probably lesser build quality and a worse track-pad.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 30, 2016 ---
    Seems that I am right: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/13-rmbps-cpu-6360u-15w-mba-class-cpu.2010041/

Both the base and TB MBP 13s need to get the upgrade to Kaby Lake as soon as the CPUs become available, otherwise many people, myself included, are likely to be looking elsewhere. Dell & Microsoft are at least making an effort to keep their machines current.

I found it helps to see the base MBP 13 as a the "new MBA 13". But it's still an AU$350 premium over the MBA. Pretty steep, even with the better screen. At least it can be configured with 16GB RAM, which is one advantage over the MBA.

I don't "need" a 13" class laptop at the moment (I have a late-2013 rMBP 15), although I would like one for traveling. The prices have certainly given me pause for thought, and I will wait to see what Apple & other manufacturers come up in the next 6 months.

John

2. johngwheeler thread starter macrumors 6502

3. tubeexperience, Oct 30, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2016

tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Obviously, if Apple release the $1499 MacBook Pro 13" as the new MacBook Air Retina 13", there would be complain that Apple bump the price of the Air up $500 (50%).

As a result, Apple branded the new model as a MacBook Pro Retina 13".

The "Pro" branding makes the price tag easier to swallow: it's a psychological thing.

The "real" successor to the old $1299 MacBook Pro Retina 13" also got a $500 price bump to $1799.

4. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

People are still, for some reason, comparing the $999 13" MacBook Air and the $1499 13" MacBook Pro and I can't understand why? The 256GB MacBook Air 13" costs $1199 so for $300 more you are getting a screen that the Air could never compete with, faster SSD, better graphics, larger trackpad with Force Touch, Thunderbolt 3 and an all new design that weighs the same as the Air.

That is a no brainer to me.

5. johngwheeler thread starter macrumors 6502

The reason for the comparison is that both the MBA and the base MBP 13 use 15W TDP U-series processors, rather the arguably more powerful 28W TDP processors found on previous generations of the rMBP 13 and the Touch Bar MBP 13.

This, together with the more limited I/O ports position the base MBP 13 more closely in the same device category (entry level, mid-power laptop) as the MBA, than the more powerful MBPs.

I'm not saying that that it's a bad upgrade from the MBA: you do get a much better screen, faster SSD and TB3 (at the cost of losing the overall number of ports and the SD card).

It just would have nice if it included a Kaby Lake (with HD 620) and cost a bit less. Kaby Lake still has very limited features, and this is Intel's fault, not Apple's. I guess Apple just thought that the current Kaby Lakes (in the XPS 13 etc.) weren't a sufficient improvement, and that they might confuse consumers by having 7th gen CPUs in one machine and 6th Gen in the others.

I think if I were to get one of the new machines, it would be the base MBP (bumped up to 16GB RAM), because the premium for the Touch Bar seems high.

A spec-bump to Kaby Lake Q1/Q2 next year would make paying this money much more palatable.

6. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

I understand the processor part but what I mean by it was it's not fair to compare a $999 Air with a 128GB SSD to a $1499 Pro with a 256GB SSD because the drive size isn't equal among other things. Comparing the 256GB SSD Air to the Pro the price difference isn't so dramatic.

7. tubeexperience macrumors 68030

Except that the prices of SSD has come down significantly, but Apple still charges the same for SSD in a MacBook Air as it did in 2014.

8. ryannel2003 macrumors 68000

ryannel2003

9. tob! macrumors regular

The problem is that the current MPA is not worth anywhere near the 999$ price tag so it's not really a fair comparison. The only reason it still exists is so that they can "justify" these ridiculous price bumps.

10. canesalato macrumors 6502a

canesalato

exactly ;)