So, the casing of my digital crown....fell off.

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by bpd115, Jul 13, 2015.

1. bpd115 macrumors 6502a

bpd115

I have the 42 mm Space Black Sport. Had it since early June, no issues, no scuffs, not one bump or bruise.

Yesterday evening, I was standing in my kitchen and lifted my arm and heard a "tink tink" sound hit the ground. Saw the piece on the floor and sure enough, it was the casing of the digital crown.

I'm not sure how they are secured to the stem, but it would not go back on or in place.

My dad took it to the genius bar for me today and they are sending it out for repair as they had no replacement stock.

They had no answer as to why, said it was the first time they've seen it.

Could have been worse, I was at an amusement park on Saturday. I would have NEVER found it or noticed it there.

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

definitely not normal. I think you are the first I have seen this happen to.

3. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Kinematic Feedback ?

:D

Seriously, did you ever have to wash the crown to free it or anything like that?

4. iBighouse macrumors 6502a

iBighouse

"You're not lifting your arm right."

5. NovemberWhiskey macrumors 68030

NovemberWhiskey

Should have taken some pics. I'd like to see the mechanism underneath.

6. bpd115 thread starter macrumors 6502a

bpd115

No, never had an issue where it was sticking. I did take a shower with it on and washed dishes, etc.

I wish I grabbed a pic but I was just too speechless. It's pretty unremarkable underneath, a steel post with what seems like a small ridge and a notch. The casing is notched, but neither myself or my dad could figure out how it is secured on the stem. I had thought it was one piece.

The watch still worked fine of course but, yeah.

Yeah my dad is cool, he just retired and I had work today so he took it in for me. A bit of a drive to the nearest store too. It helps he's also an apple fanatic.

7. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Knowing Apple and the overall construction of the Watch, it might well have been glued onto there... Since there is also a rotary encoder attached to the same shaft, manufacturing would be more difficult if the shaft was permanently fused to the crown, and simply crimping the crown onto the shaft is also difficult, if not altogether impossible, considering the tight tolerances involved. Hence...glue.

In your particular case there might not have been enough of it, since the crown came loose. *shrug* Hard to say for sure without pics! :)

8. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73