So the "essentials" now all cost money?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dvir971, Jul 21, 2016.

1. dvir971 macrumors regular

dvir971

So I got to experience with my dream computer recently, 5k iMac

[​IMG]

And I was utterly shocked to see that all the (literally) essential apps like Pages, Numbers, Keynote, even Garageband and all those nice apps Apple used to brag so much about offering for free now cost ****load of money (well, not that much but if you buy them all it adds up).
    I mean- what the hell? Thats so weird. Seems a little hypocritical of Apple for me.
    So I know I'm grasping at straws here but is there something behind it? Maybe a plan for the Sierra release or just a temporary phase? Or does that truly mean that once I'll buy my own dream Mac the computer itself will only be the beginning?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

That's a little unusual. Have you signed into the App Store with your Apple ID and then tried searching for the apps again?

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Just checked the Apple website (US) and all of those essentials are listed as being "built-in apps".

Not sure if you're experiencing a glitch or if the policy is different in other countries.

http://www.apple.com/imac/built-in-apps/

4. dvir971 thread starter macrumors regular

dvir971

So it's unusual? That's great to hear but thats weird af...
    I mean this iMac came from fixing and it was like a new one, it used to have these softwares installed before it went to the lab but now when I connected my Apple ID to the App Store it tells me I need to pay for each one... Needless to say they are not pre-installed on the computer.
    I really need to check this thing out.

5. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

They are free to the buyer of a new mac. Once the first person logs into the app store the software licenses are tied to that apple id.

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Apple stated they're free for computer buyers. Did you sign into the app store first?

If you still see a cost associated to them, contact apple, I bought a brand new iMac this past November and those apps were free for me.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

A tiny bit of research before raging would suit OP nicely.

8. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

So you sent your computer to get "fixed" and they wiped the hard drive.

Did you reinstall your software that came with the Mac originally?

You have to do that.