Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dvir971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Israel
So I got to experience with my dream computer recently, 5k iMac

giphy.gif

And I was utterly shocked to see that all the (literally) essential apps like Pages, Numbers, Keynote, even Garageband and all those nice apps Apple used to brag so much about offering for free now cost ****load of money (well, not that much but if you buy them all it adds up).
I mean- what the hell? Thats so weird. Seems a little hypocritical of Apple for me.
So I know I'm grasping at straws here but is there something behind it? Maybe a plan for the Sierra release or just a temporary phase? Or does that truly mean that once I'll buy my own dream Mac the computer itself will only be the beginning?

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
So I got to experience with my dream computer recently, 5k iMac

giphy.gif

And I was utterly shocked to see that all the (literally) essential apps like Pages, Numbers, Keynote, even Garageband and all those nice apps Apple used to brag so much about offering for free now cost ****load of money (well, not that much but if you buy them all it adds up).
I mean- what the hell? Thats so weird. Seems a little hypocritical of Apple for me.
So I know I'm grasping at straws here but is there something behind it? Maybe a plan for the Sierra release or just a temporary phase? Or does that truly mean that once I'll buy my own dream Mac the computer itself will only be the beginning?

That's a little unusual. Have you signed into the App Store with your Apple ID and then tried searching for the apps again?

dvir971

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 7, 2011
Israel
That's a little unusual. Have you signed into the App Store with your Apple ID and then tried searching for the apps again?

Just checked the Apple website (US) and all of those essentials are listed as being "built-in apps".

Not sure if you're experiencing a glitch or if the policy is different in other countries.

http://www.apple.com/imac/built-in-apps/

So it's unusual? That's great to hear but thats weird af...
I mean this iMac came from fixing and it was like a new one, it used to have these softwares installed before it went to the lab but now when I connected my Apple ID to the App Store it tells me I need to pay for each one... Needless to say they are not pre-installed on the computer.
I really need to check this thing out.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
So it's unusual? That's great to hear but thats weird af...
I mean this iMac came from fixing and it was like a new one, it used to have these softwares installed before it went to the lab but now when I connected my Apple ID to the App Store it tells me I need to pay for each one... Needless to say they are not pre-installed on the computer.
I really need to check this thing out.

So you sent your computer to get "fixed" and they wiped the hard drive.

Did you reinstall your software that came with the Mac originally?

You have to do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.