So, the guy who leaked the iPhone X software lied about the dock?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by TinaBelcher, Sep 13, 2017.

1. TinaBelcher, Sep 13, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2017

TinaBelcher macrumors 6502a

He claimed the dock would have the same gestures as the iPad's

Kinda p*sses me off, to be honest. It was the feature I looked forward too the most!

2. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Might be coming next year, when they release the X+. Maybe they'll try to make that one more of a power user type phone. It would at least justify the $1100 price point, unlike this one.

3. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

It's likely that it was Apple's intention, but technology prevented them from doing it this year.

4. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

What technology prevented it? It's a software feature lol.

5. timeconsumer macrumors 68000

timeconsumer

I thought the OP was referring to this: https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/15/2017-iphone-edge-to-edge-display-virtual-buttons/ and from there I assumed the "functional area" (as shown there) required certain technical things built into the screen in that section. I wasn't aware that it was only a software feature. That's pretty cool then.

6. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Yeah it's all software. The only thing that would not be software would be the potential addition of an under screen fingerprint scanner, which may be limited to a certain area (button sized area, bottom bar, etc), but the iPhone X didn't end up getting that feature. Redirecting back to your link, yes just software. Very cool indeed.

7. hank moody macrumors 6502a

hank moody

Doesnt make any sense.
    Inside the same OS (iOS) we have the same gesture evoking different things!!!

iPhone - swipe from bottom = Home
    iPad - swipe from bottom = Dock

WTF APPLE????

8. stevemiller macrumors 68000

actually worse:

iPad - bottom swipe = dock
    iPhone 8 and below - bottom swipe = control centre
    iPhone X - bottom swipe = home

9. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

No I am talking about the dock with the 4 most used icons in it

10. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

The only good thing I saw about the way they redesigned iOS for the iPhone X is that you can switch between apps by swiping left or right on the bottom area. So there's a mini app switcher there, but only from apps that are directly next to each other in the app switcher.

11. x-evil-x macrumors 601

x-evil-x

I thought if you slide left on the dock it pulls up the last app. or thats the bottom bar swipe left

12. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

It's a nice gesture, but it's actually faster to just slide the app away (close it) and open other app manually than keep sliding through all apps until you find the one you're looking for, you know?
    --- Post Merged, Sep 14, 2017 ---
    Yeah, but I'd like for the dock to appear and select one of my 4 apps, too. Imagine how many apps you have to slide through in the new feature until you find the one you're looking for

13. Vanilla35, Sep 14, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2017

Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Yeah, it's not the most efficient way to handle app switching, but you can at least try to work with it. On my phone, I have one of two potential situations going on at any given time:

1) I have 2-3 apps open (messages, reminders, notes, something like that). In this situation, I can easily and efficiency switch between those knowing that notes is the 3rd app, messages is 2nd, and reminders is 1st.

2) I have 5-9 apps open (I keep apps open as a reminder I need to finish something in the app, or look at it later - email app, my stock app, etc). In this situation it wouldn't be efficient to use the mini swiping method, because I wouldn't know every single app's order at the time.

It's a nice gesture if you're a person who just goes back and forth between the two most frequent apps (maybe like FB and messages or something), but for those who use various apps it doesn't add much utility.

14. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I think it does do the same? You swipe up from the bottom to get to multitasking.

15. KRG macrumors regular

KRG

Seems pretty pointless on an iPhone...it's not really a major multitasking device like an iPad. You swipe up and hold for a second and the app switcher pops up...that seems simple enough.

The iPad has a home button, the iPhone X does not. The software can't behave the same way.
    The swipe up dock action would have only been able to show your 4 most recent apps on an iPhone. That wouldn't have helped you if you want to jump to an app you haven't used in days anyway.

The app switcher gesture is literally just as simple.

16. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

The guy described an iOS 11 iPad like dock, which has that divider on the right hand side (similar to Mac) which shows current/active apps (in this case, frequently visited apps). That didn't pan out, and it's a just normal iPhone dock, with rounded corners.

17. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

Oh okay, maybe I read it wrong, but I never thought they could do that with the limited size of the phone.

18. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

Yeah, agreed.
    Btw I don't think the guy lied, I think if Apple did indeed start looking at providing an iPad like dock on the iPhone, that it's going to be released on the larger iPhone X + device in 2018. This phone might actually be big enough to implement the features correctly. Without a doubt they are/already have been working on the feature, if it's going to be released next year. These things need to be finalized more than 6 months in advance.

Could be whoever leaked details was correct, but it is simply meant to be coming next year, not this year.

19. baummer macrumors 6502a

Never expect anything from rumors. They are just rumors. Might be true, might be partially true, or might be just plain wrong.

20. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

I still think apple should allow for 5 apps in the vertical row. All android devices has room for 5 icons regardless of it's size. iPhone has ridiculous big app icons, they seriously need to scale them down 8% cause they take up too much space for no reason.

21. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

I'm impartial, literally doesn't matter to me how many apps are on the screen. I could see that being the case on the + phone though, which I don't use.

For someone more picky like yourself you might want to try jailbreaking. It's really not that complicated. You can change the row/grid format that way, through custom tweaks.

22. craigio85 macrumors 6502

craigio85

Why do they have to have lied? Why must there always be deliberate malice and blame?

23. TinaBelcher, Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017

TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have an iPhone 6 jail broken and I'm over it. The only good thing it's for is to collect nudes from Snapchat and instastories. There, I said it. Lol. I'm thinking about selling it, so I have a couple of hundreds more for the iPhone x
    --- Post Merged, Sep 15, 2017 ---
    Lol. Is this you?
    [​IMG]

24. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

To each their own then. I use mine to add a theme to iOS (which I still think is just as ugly as the day they released iOS 7), customize control center, notifications panel, animations, camera app, youtube audio with screen off, unlimited pandora skips various other things.

Snapchat features are nice, but not a necessity for me :p

25. TinaBelcher thread starter macrumors 6502a

yeah I have a lot of those stuff added to mine, too. I loved it so much last year, but ios 9.3 is so slow and outdated that I had to buy an iPhone 7. The jb was fun while it lasted tho. I especially enjoyed the theme on my lockscreen as a song was playing