So the iPad 1 was heavy and uncomfotable!!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by trssho, Mar 3, 2011.

1. trssho macrumors 6502

There was a thread 5 months ago or so where a person said: "gee, this thing is kind of uncomfortable to hold with one hand, and not very ergonomic in my hand". I and a few others concurred. WOW, did everyone climb on and say that it was so light and comfortable, you would have to be a weakling and need a gym membership if you thought otherwise.

Now all of the initial reviewers and Apple's people are raving about how comfortable it is too hold, and feels sooooo much lighter.

Hmmmmmm......guess it was a bit heavy, and could be more ergonomic.:eek:

2. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

heh. things will always get lighter and thinner, etc.

i just hope this doesnt ruin the devices' strength!

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not sure I am going to really notice going from 1.5 lbs to 1.3 lbs
    A little thinner? yes, but depending on the case, probably negligible as well

The overall dimensions (length and width) didn't change

I had no issues with the original size at all
    It was not "heavy and uncomfortable" at all, and if it was... this one will be too

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

The wifi version of the iPad2's weight is 2.7 ounces lighter then its predecessor.

I think people will be hard pressed to notice 3 ounces.

The ATT 3G version has a difference of 6.4 ounces. Maybe that's more noticeable but I kind of doubt it

5. JRoDDz macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

Any little bit of weight savings helps, especially when you have ebook readers that weigh a fraction of what this is.

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

An eBook reader may weigh a fraction, but it only does a fraction of what the iPad does

7. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

I have to disagree with you there. I don't think it will make no difference. It has to at least make *some* difference, even though the difference might be very small. Plus, .2 pounds might be a slight difference in weight, but how it feels in your hand also depends on things like weight distribution and balance. The new iPad is shaped differently enough from the original that it should have a significant difference in that regard. I don't think you can judge the overall effect without actually holding one in your hand.

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think I'll notice the weight when I'm laying in bed holding the iPad over me, but otherwise, it never occurs to me how heavy it is. It is a comfortable lap, pillow pad. It's been great.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I think you are taking a leap too far. People complaining that the iPad was too heavy were saying it was too heavy to be worthy of owning. It's not that heavy and anyone who did not buy an iPad on the sole basis of it being 1.5lbs was/is a wimp or an old lady.

Just the same a lighter, thinner version of a handheld devise is always welcome -- at least to a point because some heft and thickness is desirable for proper ergonomics.

To recap: iPad, great product, not too heavy to disuade a normal, healthy person from using (obviously if you base that on actual sales). iPad2, even better.

10. WRXHokie macrumors regular

WRXHokie

One of the reasons i decided to wait for the next rev was because the original felt heavy to me.

11. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

And Q-Tips are even lighter. :rolleyes:

12. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I'm not saying it will be completely unnoticeable, especially the thickness
    I will welcome the changes, even though I was very happy with the form factor of the original

But to think of one as "heavy" and the other as "light" is a stretch to me

13. unixfool macrumors 6502a

For what it does, it's actually light. 1.5lb is nothing, IMO. Half the complaints on weight probably aren't related to weight...as several people have already stated, its the distribution of the weight that may be giving people problems, along with the dimensions of the iPad itself. It is NOT an iPhone or iPod or Tab. It will demand two hands in almost every aspect of usage. I haven't seen many people use one hand with a laptop or hardback book for long periods.

I wouldn't really want to see these things get much lighter, as I'd be worried about durability.

14. HarryKeogh macrumors 6502a

It's 3.2 oz lighter. You are going to notice the second you pick it up.

And depth is a dimension.

15. peterjcat macrumors 6502

I thought the iPad 1 was just slightly too heavy when I first got it. But now I don't! Positive side effect -- iPad makes you stronger.

16. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Which is why I specified length and width