So the NFC chip is locked down by Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Lloydbm41, Sep 16, 2014.

1. Lloydbm41 macrumors 68040

Lloydbm41

Don't plan on being able to use that NFC chip for anything except pay for stuff. Apple announced that the chip and API will be locked exclusively to Apple Pay for at least 1 year.

So no using NFC tags to automatically alter settings on your phone. No using NFC to pair your phone to anything. No transferring data from on device to another.

Kinda sucks, but I understand that Apple wants to be extra cautious with this tech, since it is used in conjunction with Touch ID and personal CC data.

2. SMIDG3T Suspended

SMIDG3T

Yes, for the time being.

Just like Touch ID was, it'll be open to developers towards the end of 2015 I'd of thought.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

You can probably use it for anything you want once it's jailbroken.

4. eoblaed macrumors 65816

eoblaed

Definitely a prudent approach. When dealing with financial and personal information, I'd much rather they start ultra conservative and open it up as they develop the confidence in their ability to do that securely.

----------

One of the single best arguments I've heard in a long time for not jailbreaking your phone.

5. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

We all knew NFC would have some restrictions and we were not suddenly going to be able to transfer any type of file we wanted. Why are people acting surprised?

If you want to send something over to another Apple device, just use 'Airdrop'. Problem solved.

6. MarkieMark92 macrumors regular

Gutted as here in the UK can't see apple pay coming anytime soon :( was hoping too use NFC on my iPhone to pay for stuff but doesn't look like thats happening anytime soon :/

7. groovyf macrumors 6502

With the London Underground now accepting contactless payment methods (other than Oyster), it would've been quite a thing if the NFC on the 6 worked with the system.

8. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

I'm not at all surprised. Apple has a lot riding on Apple Pay, they can not afford to have it screwed up by anything a third-party developer does with the technology. You know how the press is with anything related to Apple, they would have a field day with it even if not Apple's fault and they wouldn't recover from it.

9. flipshot macrumors 6502a

Visa have said they are working with Apple to bring it to the UK in early 2015.