So the real question...when will we see a DECENT camera on the touch?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by mpb2000, Sep 12, 2009.

1. mpb2000 macrumors regular

Ok, before I even type anything else, let me say that by decent, I mean at least 3GS quality; just something you can transfer to your computer and would actually want to look at a second time. I have seen plenty of photos taken by the 3GS and they look great FOR A CAMERA PHONE, even in tough situations like low light, macro, etc. The tap to focus/balance feature is a nice addition. Obviously, I'm not looking for something to replace my SLR, just something to snap spur of the moment shots when I don't have any other camera on me, so let's not steer this thread in that direction.

With the teardown of the new touch, it doesn't seem like there's enough room to put anything other than a nano-type camera in there. So if all we were going to get was a VGA video camera, I'd still be disappointed, although I guess that would put a little more closure on the situation, as we wouldn't have the production delay rumors still swirling. So, do we assume the camera, if there was one, was only going to be the nano camera? Given the space limitations, the 3GS camera definitely wasn't going to fit. To get a decent camera in the touch, it seems to me like there would have to be some serious work done due to the thickness of the touch vs that of the iphone. The 3GS camera just wouldn't fit in the current touch configuration.

So what does everyone think? Does apple throw the nano camera into the touch at some point (maybe they see how popular it is on the nano before making a decision)? Or do they do some engineering work and put an altogether new camera into the thinner touch? Or maybe no camera at all.
    Jobs has said the camera is out of scope for apple's vision of the touch, but we all know he says stuff like that all the time, only to flip-flop a year later.

Obviously, I'm hoping for a decent camera sooner rather than later, but I'm not holding my breath.

2. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

I think it will be a few years before we see anything like the Flip MinoHD in terms of quality. Apparently the nano is on par with the Flip Mino as it is. In the two youtube videos I've seen, the nano's video quality was a bit better than 3GS, in my opinion. Sound is very different though. Maybe in 2011?

3. Macjames macrumors 6502a

Maybe next year, either a silent upgrade or next september. If i remember rightly from another site it was the autofocus causing the size problems. Remove that and the 3GS camera would fit in.

4. nava macrumors 6502

nava

I hope so, i was slightly disappointed that they didn't come up with any kind of cam now, but patiently we will wait... :rolleyes:

5. AngryApple macrumors 6502

How does the Nano camera compare to the DSi one?

6. iSpaghettiCat macrumors regular

IMO, if they put the 3GS camera in the touch, video and all, it'd be good enough for me.

I've seen some 3GS shots compared to the 3G, and they look amazing for a cell phone camera.

7. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Gold vs. Tin

Honestly, the DSi cameras are some shoddy pieces of junk they crammed in. Nothing too special.

8. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

Ipod Touch with camera: In stores BEFORE black Friday (1st shopping day after Thanksgiving).

Otherwise a few hundred accessory manufacturers will be suing Apple.

9. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

Not a chance. What would they sue over? It's not like apple told them there was going to be a camera in it. And there's no way apple would release an update a couple months after this one. Think about all the pissed off people there would be that purchased a touch in those two months. It's pretty obvious the only thing that could have possibly made it into the touch was the nano camera, which doesn't fit in the "decent" camera category. Stills with that would be useless. Apple is going to have to do some serious engineering to fit an autofocus camera in the touch case because it's so much thinner than the iphone.

10. mpb2000 thread starter macrumors regular

The DSi cameras are the same resolution (VGA). I don't know anything more than that, but Gold vs Tin seems a bit overboard. I think they're both crap.

11. 6daniels macrumors member

Remember how the Macbook Uni-body didnt have a firewire port and people got so disappointed, then like 2 months later apple made a macbook pro which was almost the same as the macbook but with a firewire port and sd card slot. So you never know what will happened with the ipod touch i was going to get it if it had a camera but now im not going to buy it till they add a camera