So the Siri gimmick won't be on the regular iPhone 4?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Virgo, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Virgo macrumors 6502

Virgo

If so, why not? Isn't it just software differences?

----------

Ooops, just saw the other thread about this.

2. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

Because it's one of the few reasons to buy a 4S (in theory). But it should be a matter of time before a tweak allows it to be run on the 4.

3. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

4. nfl46 macrumors 603

Its just another feature that people will forget that is even there.

5. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Yep, what he said!

6. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

I was wondering theoretically what is stopping them from incorporating it on both types of phones, while shining a light on the fact that it is a gimmick if it works fine on both.

7. aztooh macrumors 6502a

There's nothing theoretical about it. They're not allowing it on the 4 and older so people will feel compelled to upgrade. They've (as in Apple) have even taken the Siri app out of the app-store. Very shady move IMO.

8. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

I don't see why it can't run on a 4. It will probably be noticeably slower is all. And you know what Apple thinks about "user experience."

9. robdam1001 macrumors 6502a

10. ravensfan55 macrumors 6502

Apple was pimping Siri hard....but it's something I'd never use. Made my decision much easier.

11. adztaylor macrumors 68000

There has to be a stand out feature that gives people a solid reason to upgrade to the new phone. I'm sure it will be able to run on the iPhone 4 but Apple don't want to do that.

12. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I vote gimmick as well. It's interesting enough, but I'd never use it. For those of you that will, hey, enjoy.

That said--whether or not it *could* run on the 4 remains to be seen. It'll be interesting to see if the JB community manages to get it running on older phones.

13. androiphone macrumors 65816

this, this and only this!

siri and the voice-to-text are both completely server side functions (esp the voice-to-text), so could basically be run on an original iphone, the only reason to keep it off the iphone 4 and 3gs is in an attempt to get people to buy-the-new-one.

it's business 101

14. rioja macrumors regular

Yup and unfortunately Siri ain't it.

Wish they demoed it in noisy conditions to see how well it worked. Also, what about privacy issues? Don't really want to dictate email, sms, reminders or other personal business while in a public place for all to hear.

While it may "work well", I don't think it will be "well used".

15. adztaylor macrumors 68000

I absolutely agree, whilst at first it will be one of those "look how cool this is" features it will soon lose its appeal for any real use.

16. Virgo thread starter macrumors 6502

Virgo

I guess I meant "physically" rather than "theoretically."

But I definitely do think it's a gimmick. I had an android phone with speech to text, used it a couple times, "cool," moved on with my life. It's more practical and private to just type stuff out.

17. sysiphus macrumors 6502a

sysiphus

Pretty much like how they restricted MMS from the original iPhone--it has nothing to do with technical requirements and everything to do with propping up the (limited) value in a costly hardware upgrade.

18. ihav0frnds macrumors 6502

i imagine jailbreaking may be able to fix it.

19. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

I think this is Software Base app, this is Siri App that totally software app. So is it will be possible to be applied on iPhone 4. But maybe Apple didn't want do that because of business ways.. we hope there are any tweak or JB to break this forbidden way...

20. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

Because the 4S probably has 1GB of ram that Siri requires

21. aztooh macrumors 6502a

I see it as very useful while driving. Seems to be a lot more practical than any other dictation service I've used on phones (mostly only vlingo). And also seems easier to use Siri to set up location based reminders instead of manually inputting them. Although I don't think I've actually seen that process and don't know how many screen taps it takes.

22. libertysat macrumors regular

Seri is part of iOS5 not the iPhone4s

I used the voice control on my droid alot and look forward to using it on my iphone

----------

"Any typos are courtesy of the iPad's useless autocorrect "feature"

Disable it...

23. Apollo 13 macrumors 6502a

Well it is software and I feel Apple can't nothing about Android fragmentation anymore because are doing themselves.